Don't speak of my heart

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Every week for a year I have written a letter - more pictures than words - to keep some connection with my wife in her care home. This week I am going to write about Glasgow and the good times we have had there. I thought of the late Gerry Rafferty whose songs she likes. Most people will know Baker Street or at least its famous saxophone riff. But her favourite was a more mellow, sentimental and (to me now) touching tale of love and loss. Every day's an endless maze of dreams that fade and die ...

Last edited:

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I love Baker Street but have never heard this one before. Best wishes to you and your wife and may your musical connections continue.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I have City to City and a greatest hits compilation on CD, and I used to have Night Owl on vinyl. That one is beautiful and new to me. C's musical tastes are diverging a bit from mine recently and you're so lucky to have that connection with your wife @northumbrian_k. Long may it continue for you both.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
It is quite poignant. When I was at work she would listen to the radio and tell me when I came home about what she had heard. She picked this one up that way. She introduced me to various new artists too, either heard on the radio or when her hairdresser played something that she liked. Today she would not remember between leaving the salon and reaching the street. We had to stop going to the hairdresser when dementia bit but it makes for some good memories for me.

Last edited:

Old Flopsy

Sep 12, 2019
@northumbrian_k . I was a big Rafferty fan and this sad song has sent me diving into the boot of my car to retrieve my Rafferty CDs 'Right Down the Line', and 'Life Goes On'. 'night Owl' must be around somewhere. Time to play these haunting old tunes.

Back in the seventies we had a binman with bushy black hair and a black beard- one day my three year old son came dashing in to say 'Mum Gerry Rafferty has just emptied our bin'.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I’m enjoying coffee a pancake and listening to Charlie Parker playing Autumn in New York and life doesn’t seem too bad. The blue sky today helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch