Don't mention Santa Claus

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Watching an advert (the one where Daddy wants a cheeseburger for Father Christmas) in the cinema before today's film I thought about the time my stepson's wife told us not to use the term Santa Claus when talking to her then very young daughter. I never knew why and don't really care but it brought home to me that, whereas, once I could have shared this memory with my wife, today she would struggle to know what I was talking about. Small intimacies and shared experiences, just one more thing that we have lost ...

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
In Germany they have Saint Nicolaus Tag on December 6th, but C has forgotten for the last 3 or 4 years. Well done Mrs K for remembering and surprising you.

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
Where I live he's called Father Christmas if you're trying to be posh, otherwise it's Santa :p

I’m fighting a losing battle with my grandsons trying to keep our family tradition and get them to say Father Christmas - to me Santa Claus is what the Americans say - but I never thought it was posh. Not a word you would apply to our family!