Don't know how to handle my Mum who thinks stuff is being constantly stolen

Gee7

Aug 28, 2023
Hi, really struggling here. When ever I suggest that the stuff that is 'missing' or 'stolen' is around somewhere she just gets so angry and tells me that I think she is mad. I want to reassure here that she is safe and that no one is taking her stuff but in doing so, I kind of invalidate what she is saying. Can't win either way. Just don't know what to say or what to do - not sure how much longer I can cope with it all.

Jools1402

Jan 13, 2024
Hi - this is a difficult one and I understand absolutely what you are saying. Went through the same with my Mum and NOTHING would convince her that there wasn't wholesale organised thieving at her care home. Even dialling 999 twice. Fortunately it was a phase that is now over.
I don't know if anything much will work but you could try agreeing with her and say you will report it, check locks etc. NO point in trying to reason with her - even if you are trying to make her see that things are secure. To her theft is the ONLY explanation for things not being where they should be.

Gee7

Aug 28, 2023
Hi - this is a difficult one and I understand absolutely what you are saying. Went through the same with my Mum and NOTHING would convince her that there wasn't wholesale organised thieving at her care home. Even dialling 999 twice. Fortunately it was a phase that is now over.
I don't know if anything much will work but you could try agreeing with her and say you will report it, check locks etc. NO point in trying to reason with her - even if you are trying to make her see that things are secure. To her theft is the ONLY explanation for things not being where they should be.
Thanks Jools - sage advice

Gee7

Aug 28, 2023
Have you tried telling her that you've taken the items to be repaired and they'll be returned soon?
Hi, yes, I've done that, her purse for example. It just creates another point of conflict because she gets upset and angry that she doesn't have it and what is she wants to go shopping and ends up putting the phone down on me. I have relented and given the purse back but it just leads to the above. She doesn't feel safe in her flat. How distressing for her and then for me.