Donepezil

JohnT36

May 25, 2024
Hi,
My dad has been diagnosed with mixed dementia. The memory clinic doctor didn’t think a scan was necessary to diagnose and has suggested donepezil. My dad is blessed with perfect physical health and so has never needed to take meds and is reluctant to try the donepezil given the side effects. Just wondered whether it’s worth it? Does it help? I’ve read mixed reports about it and am worried about the dizziness side effect because my dad currently lives alone.
Thanks

BeeBeeDee

Apr 19, 2023
My husband has been on it since July and suffered no side effects.
Is it working - hard to say really as will never know what he would like without it

My Mum's Daughter

Feb 8, 2020
Mum started on 5 mg of donepezil which was later increased to 10 mg. As with your Dad, she'd never taken regular medication but in her case, she was willing to give them a go.

She had no side effects even with the increased dose.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I’ve read mixed reports about it and am worried about the dizziness side effect because my dad currently lives alone.
You have read mixed reports about it because people responses to donepezil are mixed

Some people (like my mum) had no/only transient problems with side affects and it seemed to help a lot. Other people have big problems with side effects and/or it doesnt make any difference. Or there can be anything in between. There is no way of knowing in advance which group your dad will be in. You can only try it and see - or not

Paula2u

Jan 12, 2018
Hi,
My dad has been diagnosed with mixed dementia. The memory clinic doctor didn’t think a scan was necessary to diagnose and has suggested donepezil. My dad is blessed with perfect physical health and so has never needed to take meds and is reluctant to try the donepezil given the side effects. Just wondered whether it’s worth it? Does it help? I’ve read mixed reports about it and am worried about the dizziness side effect because my dad currently lives alone.
Thanks

Watson1

Sep 4, 2023
I have been on don for about a year had some heavy night mares in the first couple of nights but with my usual night time melatonin that wasn't an issue. i think that it helps with increased daily cognitive function. trying to separate weather a or b helps in the world of our alzheimers is on the verge of some humorous science but i feel the deonopzil helps and any plus i can find is good enough for me. go for it...

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
As Watson1 there is no one size fits all answer.
Many years ago our middle child nearly died after being prescribed a widely used antibiotic, luckily, me my wife and mum all former NHS nurses recognised and knew what to do when someone goes into anophalatic shock, there is no such thing as safe or suitable for everyone.
Years later my wife (the reason I post on here) was on the early trials for what was then called Aricept and cost the NHS a fortune, out of licence it is now called Donepezil (Hyperchloride) technically.
Did it help? Never know as I don't have a clone of her for a controlled trail.
If there are no adverse side effects then stay with it, it isn't a cure just may help slow the rate of decline down is my view.
Sorry for going on. K

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Hi,
Thanks
My LO has been on it for 8 years and still it does its job and no side effects at all. Worth a try as I am convinced it has really helped especially mood control and calming

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DevotedDaughter23