Donepezil

LouGuth69

Mar 12, 2024
Mother in law has had her first diagnosis in February and was put onto Donepezil to delay symptoms 5mg. After about a week she took a rapid downward spiral, being unable to walk and hold things, although her memory seemed to improve .Since she has had good days and bad, she has been back to the memory clinic and has been given the higher mg of Donepezil and here we are just over a week later with another sudden downward spiral. Has anyone else had this experience with a loved one after being medicated ? Can I also ask, she is being given this drug on morning with other tablets wondering what the benefits are from changing it to an evening.

Last edited:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @LouGuth69

I wonder if your mum was feeling dizzy and thats why she was holding onto the furniture etc? Dizziness is a common side-effect of donepezil, although it often wears off after a few weeks. Speak to the doctor about this, but mum took her donepezil in the evenings so unless there are other reasons not to, it might help

LouGuth69

Mar 12, 2024
Hello @LouGuth69

I wonder if your mum was feeling dizzy and thats why she was holding onto the furniture etc? Dizziness is a common side-effect of donepezil, although it often wears off after a few weeks. Speak to the doctor about this, but mum took her donepezil in the evenings so unless there are other reasons not to, it might help
Thank you for the reply ! very helpful .

OliverTK

Jan 4, 2024
my wife was on Donepezil for a year! It was a horrible experience. she was unable to go anywhere. was just content to lay down all day. she constantly complained of headaches and a spinning sensation. An acquaintance whose husband also had dementia, told me she refused to give him the prescription after she read the side effects. True, it works for some people. apparently, not for my wife.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Most people can take one of the most common forms of antibiotic nearly killed my middle child, he had a life threating allergic reaction.
There is no one size fits all, I like an egg for breakfast, my wife had an allergy to eggs, she got early onset I didn't and haven't yet, doesn't make eating eggs a preventive.
My wife was prescribe Aricept when it cost the NHS a fortune, it went generic and became Donepezil (and other names), she was part of a trial group, without a clone of her I can only say it didn't work for her, what I don't know is how it would have turned out without it.
Look at the allergy advise on any piece of food packaging, far more comprehensive than medicines where you have to read it in 3 point type.
I'll shut up now, rant over. K

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
My mum was on it for a long time and suffered no ill effects and I like to think it did slow the progression down as she was diagnosed it very early on. She did take it at night though as instructed by the dr.