Donepezil

Yohan

Jan 11, 2024
Hello everyone,

A close family member has recently been diagnosed with early onset dementia and we are considering whether or not they should take donepezil. There are some serious side effects which we are concerned about so we are taking our time in making what feels like a big next step.

I wondered if there was anyone with a relative with dementia - who has taken donepezil - who would be happy to talk with me (confidentiality) about their experience with the medication. Please do let me know!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Yohan

My mum had Alzheimers, took donepezil and I am very happy to talk to you non-confidentially. She took donepezil for about three years and did not have any serious side=effects. The only thing that she got was slight nausea for the first few weeks, but this was solved by her taking the tablet in the evening and I think it went away quite soon anyway. There was a delay to start with because mum had some heart problems with atrial fibrillation and there was concern that the donepezil might exacerbate this, so she was also prescribed ramipril and had no problems.

Its difficult to know how much the donepezil worked, but when she started it she was declining so quickly that I feared she would not survive longer that about 6 months, but she actually seemed to improve a bit and the decline seemed much slower so that we had another 2 good years and only the last one was marked by serious ill health (pneumonia, a stroke and finally a bad fall and broken hip)

My feeling is that you wont know whether of not there will be side-effects unless you try. You will at least be aware of the possible problems and will be watching out for them, so that if there are problems you can stop.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
My (now late) wife was prescribed it years ago before it was called Aricept originally. Personally I don't think it bit anything, however I didn't have a clone to do a proper controlled trial...one was enough.
Even if it just the placebo effect, you get medication from a doctor so you'll feel better.
If it works for her it works, objectively I don't believe it every did anything for my wife's early onset Alzheimers. Didn't do any harm either.
K

Somerset girl

Dec 20, 2023
My husband takes it, no side effects and no idea where we’d be if he didn’t take it. He’s been on it for two years. Hope that helps.

Angel55

Oct 23, 2023
Hi

My Dad has been taking it on the lowest dose for several months now, not noticed any problems at the moment and he has COPD. Haven't noticed any major improvements either but he might be worse if he didn't take it ☺️

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
My husband took donepezil for several months but had a few minor tummy problems and was put on to rivastigimine patches. The donepezil seemed to calm him down and would kept him on it if nothing else had been available .

Yohan

Jan 11, 2024
Hello @canary thanks for sharing your experience with your mum with me. I really appreciate it. I would like to take you up on the offer to speak with me if that is still okay. Would a phone call in the latter half of next week work for you at all?

Yohan

Jan 11, 2024
My (now late) wife was prescribed it years ago before it was called Aricept originally. Personally I don't think it bit anything, however I didn't have a clone to do a proper controlled trial...one was enough.
Even if it just the placebo effect, you get medication from a doctor so you'll feel better.
If it works for her it works, objectively I don't believe it every did anything for my wife's early onset Alzheimers. Didn't do any harm either.
K
Thanks for sharing your experience with me

Yohan

Jan 11, 2024
My husband took donepezil for several months but had a few minor tummy problems and was put on to rivastigimine patches. The donepezil seemed to calm him down and would kept him on it if nothing else had been available .
Thanks for sharing this with me!

Yohan

Jan 11, 2024
Thanks for sharing

Dunroamin

May 5, 2019
UK
I was diagnosed with alzheimer's 4 years ago and have been on this drug ever since. It is not a cure and people react differently to it. Mine is an early diagnosis. As it is the only drug available to me I would be horrified to think anyone would hesitate to administer it.

Yohan

Jan 11, 2024
I was diagnosed with alzheimer's 4 years ago and have been on this drug ever since. It is not a cure and people react differently to it. Mine is an early diagnosis. As it is the only drug available to me I would be horrified to think anyone would hesitate to administer it.
Thanks for sharing your opinion

Yohan

Jan 11, 2024
K
Thanks for sharing K

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @canary thanks for sharing your experience with your mum with me. I really appreciate it. I would like to take you up on the offer to speak with me if that is still okay. Would a phone call in the latter half of next week work for you at all?
Hi Yohan

Ive been thinking about this and Im afraid that Im really not comfortable with giving out either phone or email, but I am willing to talk to you by Direct Messaging. To be fair, though, Im not sure how much more I can tell you

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Wife has just started on Donepezil last Thursday ,the first dose at night time . The following morning was the worst time we’ve had, crying for hours, asking to go home, this is the first time this has happened in the morning, coincidence I don’t know. The second dose and morning after seems to be ok up to now But, seems to be more confused than normal.
It took about three weeks before I noticed mum seeming a bit brighter

Watson1

Sep 4, 2023
I have early stage alzheimers and have been on donepezil for several months 10mgs now. My last visit to the memory clinic actually showed some improvement. Some stability or slowing is all i seek if any of this happens it will be a help to all. I had minor side affects and i think the med well deserves a try even as it affects people differently. Go for it and go slow in understanding this new world. PEACE

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dad was okay with it but he took it at bedtime which suited his diabetic medication very well

MaNaak

Tom767

Dec 29, 2023
My husband takes it, no side effects and no idea where we’d be if he didn’t take it. He’s been on it for two years. Hope that helps.
Hello - can I ask how long has your partner been taking donzepil and how is he after two years … after taking it ? My mum will start taking next Thurs .

Oufan

Nov 8, 2023
Hello- my husband has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s dementia in Oct 2023, prescribed Donepezil 5mg since Nov 2023.
Side effects affect his sleep and he became very emotional and sexually aroused at inappropriate times and places.
No positive improvements notice to date !

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosaleen1943