1. Our next Q&A session is on the topic of Christmas and dementia.This time we want our Q&A to involve our resident experts, you! Share tips and advice on navigating Christmas here in this thread.

Pop by and post your questions or if you prefer you can email your question to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

Doing LPA's Online is EASY now

Discussion in 'Legal and financial issues' started by lin1, Oct 10, 2015.

1. lin1

lin1 Registered User

Jan 14, 2010
    Female
    East Kent
    After watching a TV programme that mentioned LPA's
    Dad said
    "Well you've got everything buttoned up for me"
    I thought he meant An EPA that he'd told me he'd made when mum made hers, I asked if his EPA for was with the Solicitor.
    I do remember going with them to sign things but its so long ago I cant remember what it was actually for.
    Anyway it turns out, dad did not actually create an EPA for himself.

As soon as we realised this he asked if I would sort the Finance and property LPA out for him.
    So after he checked if S would be willing to be a certificate provider
    Online I went, and was really surprised how easy they have made it now
    and completing the online form only took a matter of minutes really, after reading the info.

I certainly am not computer literate by any stretch of the imagination, so if you're thinking about doing one ,do seriously think about doing it online with the official government site

https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney/overview

2. Grey Lad

Grey Lad Registered User

Sep 12, 2014
    North East Lincs
    I agree with you but a legal eagle told me that the person concerned has to do it themselves. I can't see how this can be true. I think I could do it for my O H then get her to sign it and someone else to agree she has capacity.

3. turbo

turbo Registered User

Aug 1, 2007
    Thank you Lin, I am intending to do LPAs for husband and myself.

4. lin1

lin1 Registered User

Jan 14, 2010
    Female
    East Kent
    #4 lin1, Oct 10, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
    Hi, Erm am sorry to say that legal eagle is not correct , the only requirements are that the Donor has capacity and agrees.
    Their is a section where you have to click on who filled in the online form. certain people can definitely complete it on behalf of the Donor, or assist the Donor

As for the Donor signing the form , it now clearly says signature or Mark as well as someone else being able to sign on the Donors behalf if they are not able to make their mark.
    Go on give it a whirl, if you find its not for you, you can not only cancel the LPA you can delete your account

Hope this helps

5. Pete R

Pete R Registered User

Jul 26, 2014
    Staffs
    This is from the opening page when you set up your account........

"You can create an account in your name to help someone else make an LPA. But they must make all the decisions about the LPA themselves."

6. lin1

lin1 Registered User

Jan 14, 2010
    Female
    East Kent
    Your welcome.
    I was so surprised how easy they have made it now, I just had to post it on here.

7. lin1

lin1 Registered User

Jan 14, 2010
    Female
    East Kent
    Thank Pete R. I forgot to put that in my reply

8. ElizabethAnn

ElizabethAnn Registered User

Jan 4, 2014
    North Hampshire
    I did Mum and Dad's LPAs for "Health & Welfare" & "Property & Finance" from an account in my own name on their web site.

https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney/make-lasting-power

I did call OPG (0300 456 0300) to check that this was all OK and found them very helpful.

Less expensive than going to a solicitor and as Lin1 says, the web site is quite straight forward.

You will need a printer (they're each about 16 odd pages long)

I had to shop around to get a good price for getting certified copies once they were all registered.

There was a HUGE difference in price quote from various solicitors. The cheapest I came across were £5 a copy. The most expensive was £25 a copy. Multiply those figures a few times and that is a massive difference....

ElizabethAnn

9. lin1

lin1 Registered User

Jan 14, 2010
    Female
    East Kent
  10. EvaMary

EvaMary Registered User

Oct 6, 2015
    Cheslyn Hay
    Lpa

Hi Lin

Saw your post this morning and I will have to do a LPA soon for my husband and my self so thank you for let us now how easy it is on line.

11. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    "Providing the Donor has capacity, they can self certify copies of LPA's"

Easiest way is to scan to doc or pdf, add a footer with 'I certify....' and then print ready for signing, don't forget last page is a different text.

Saves a lot of writing.

12. Grey Lad

Grey Lad Registered User

Sep 12, 2014
    North East Lincs
    #12 Grey Lad, Oct 10, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
    Thanks for that. The quote I had was near to two grand for both of us. I wonder if that is why they said I couldn't do it on behalf of O H? Fortunately, I have it still partly done so may as well press on. Thanks particularly to Nitram for previous help on this.

13. lin1

lin1 Registered User

Jan 14, 2010
    Female
    East Kent
    Omg two grand (swoon)

14. lin1

lin1 Registered User

Jan 14, 2010
    Female
    East Kent
    You're welcome. :)

15. lin1

lin1 Registered User

Jan 14, 2010
    Female
    East Kent
    Thanks Nitram
    I'm going have to look up how to do this :eek:

16. Grey Lad

Grey Lad Registered User

Sep 12, 2014
    North East Lincs
    That may have been without VAT. :D

17. lin1

lin1 Registered User

Jan 14, 2010
    Female
    East Kent
    Your probably right their.

Much much cheaper to diy. Only costing dad £110 in total as he can self certify the copies
    And S who is going to be certificate provider and witness will get a nice home cooked meal when she visits , I might get her a nice bunch of flowers too
    (What a cheapskate I am lol )

18. Grey Lad

Grey Lad Registered User

Sep 12, 2014
    North East Lincs
    I am on the case. Just because our solicitors have got me few bob recently, for dental negligence, there's no need to give them most of it back

19. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    Providing the Donor has capacity, they can self certify copies of LPA's"

Easiest way is to scan to doc or pdf, add a footer with 'I certify....' and then print ready for signing, don't forget last page is a different text.

Saves a lot of writing.

Thanks Nitram
    I'm going have to look up how to do this

If you are not used to footers you could pre-print some sheets with the wording at the bottom and then print the document on these sheets.

I've never done it with the new format but on the old the text fitted in the pierced area at the bottom, I assume this has not changed.

A word of warning if using a laser printer do a test to check that the pre-printed bit does not refuse and become blurred - this does not often happen.

20. lin1

lin1 Registered User

Jan 14, 2010
    Female
    East Kent
    Thanks once again Nitram, you always come to my rescue :).
    I'll do a practice sheet when I get the registered LPA back