Doing LPA's Online is EASY now

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
After watching a TV programme that mentioned LPA's
Dad said
"Well you've got everything buttoned up for me"
I thought he meant An EPA that he'd told me he'd made when mum made hers, I asked if his EPA for was with the Solicitor.
I do remember going with them to sign things but its so long ago I cant remember what it was actually for.
Anyway it turns out, dad did not actually create an EPA for himself.

As soon as we realised this he asked if I would sort the Finance and property LPA out for him.
So after he checked if S would be willing to be a certificate provider
Online I went, and was really surprised how easy they have made it now
and completing the online form only took a matter of minutes really, after reading the info.

I certainly am not computer literate by any stretch of the imagination, so if you're thinking about doing one ,do seriously think about doing it online with the official government site

https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney/overview

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
After watching a TV programme that mentioned LPA's
Dad said
"Well you've got everything buttoned up for me"
I thought he meant An EPA that he'd told me he'd made when mum made hers, I asked if his EPA for was with the Solicitor.
I do remember going with them to sign things but its so long ago I cant remember what it was actually for.
Anyway it turns out, dad did not actually create an EPA for himself.

As soon as we realised this he asked if I would sort the Finance and property LPA out for him.
So after he checked if S would be willing to be a certificate provider
Online I went, and was really surprised how easy they have made it now
and completing the online form only took a matter of minutes really, after reading the info.

I certainly am not computer literate by any stretch of the imagination, so if you're thinking about doing one ,do seriously think about doing it online with the official government site

https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney/overview

I agree with you but a legal eagle told me that the person concerned has to do it themselves. I can't see how this can be true. I think I could do it for my O H then get her to sign it and someone else to agree she has capacity.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
I agree with you but a legal eagle told me that the person concerned has to do it themselves. I can't see how this can be true. I think I could do it for my O H then get her to sign it and someone else to agree she has capacity.

Hi, Erm am sorry to say that legal eagle is not correct , the only requirements are that the Donor has capacity and agrees.
Their is a section where you have to click on who filled in the online form. certain people can definitely complete it on behalf of the Donor, or assist the Donor

As for the Donor signing the form , it now clearly says signature or Mark as well as someone else being able to sign on the Donors behalf if they are not able to make their mark.
Go on give it a whirl, if you find its not for you, you can not only cancel the LPA you can delete your account

Hope this helps

Last edited:

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
This is from the opening page when you set up your account........

"You can create an account in your name to help someone else make an LPA. But they must make all the decisions about the LPA themselves."

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
This is from the opening page when you set up your account........

"You can create an account in your name to help someone else make an LPA. But they must make all the decisions about the LPA themselves."
Thank Pete R. I forgot to put that in my reply

ElizabethAnn

Jan 4, 2014
Northumberland
I did Mum and Dad's LPAs for "Health & Welfare" & "Property & Finance" from an account in my own name on their web site.

https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney/make-lasting-power

I did call OPG (0300 456 0300) to check that this was all OK and found them very helpful.

Less expensive than going to a solicitor and as Lin1 says, the web site is quite straight forward.

You will need a printer (they're each about 16 odd pages long)

I had to shop around to get a good price for getting certified copies once they were all registered.

There was a HUGE difference in price quote from various solicitors. The cheapest I came across were £5 a copy. The most expensive was £25 a copy. Multiply those figures a few times and that is a massive difference....

ElizabethAnn

EvaMary

Oct 6, 2015
Cheslyn Hay
Lpa

Hi Lin

Saw your post this morning and I will have to do a LPA soon for my husband and my self so thank you for let us now how easy it is on line.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"Providing the Donor has capacity, they can self certify copies of LPA's"

Easiest way is to scan to doc or pdf, add a footer with 'I certify....' and then print ready for signing, don't forget last page is a different text.

Saves a lot of writing.

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
Hi, Erm am sorry to say that legal eagle is not correct , the only requirements are that the Donor has capacity and agrees.
Their is a section where you have to click on who filled in the online form. certain people can definitely complete it on behalf of the Donor, or assist the Donor

As for the Donor signing the form , it now clearly says signature or Mark as well as someone else being able to sign on the Donors behalf if they are not able to make their mark.
Go on give it a whirl, if you find its not for you, you can not only cancel the LPA you can delete your account

Hope this helps

Thanks for that. The quote I had was near to two grand for both of us. I wonder if that is why they said I couldn't do it on behalf of O H? Fortunately, I have it still partly done so may as well press on. Thanks particularly to Nitram for previous help on this.

Last edited:

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Thanks for that. The quote I had was near to two grand for both of us. I wonder if that is why they said I couldn't do it on behalf of O H? Fortunately, I have it still partyly done so may as well press on. Thanks particularly to Nitram for previous help on this.

Omg two grand (swoon)

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
"Providing the Donor has capacity, they can self certify copies of LPA's"

Easiest way is to scan to doc or pdf, add a footer with 'I certify....' and then print ready for signing, don't forget last page is a different text.

Saves a lot of writing.
Thanks Nitram
I'm going have to look up how to do this :eek:

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
That may have been without VAT. :D
Your probably right their.

Much much cheaper to diy. Only costing dad £110 in total as he can self certify the copies
And S who is going to be certificate provider and witness will get a nice home cooked meal when she visits , I might get her a nice bunch of flowers too
(What a cheapskate I am lol )

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
Your probably right their.

Much much cheaper to diy. Only costing dad £110 in total as he can self certify the copies
And S who is going to be certificate provider and witness will get a nice home cooked meal when she visits , I might get her a nice bunch of flowers too
(What a cheapskate I am lol )

I am on the case. Just because our solicitors have got me few bob recently, for dental negligence, there's no need to give them most of it back

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Providing the Donor has capacity, they can self certify copies of LPA's"

Saves a lot of writing.

Thanks Nitram
I'm going have to look up how to do this

If you are not used to footers you could pre-print some sheets with the wording at the bottom and then print the document on these sheets.

I've never done it with the new format but on the old the text fitted in the pierced area at the bottom, I assume this has not changed.

A word of warning if using a laser printer do a test to check that the pre-printed bit does not refuse and become blurred - this does not often happen.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Providing the Donor has capacity, they can self certify copies of LPA's"

Saves a lot of writing.

Thanks Nitram
I'm going have to look up how to do this

If you are not used to footers you could pre-print some sheets with the wording at the bottom and then print the document on these sheets.

I've never done it with the new format but on the old the text fitted in the pierced area at the bottom, I assume this has not changed.

A word of warning if using a laser printer do a test to check that the pre-printed bit does not refuse and become blurred - this does not often happen.

Thanks once again Nitram, you always come to my rescue :).
I'll do a practice sheet when I get the registered LPA back

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabream