Does Music soothe the distress -and reawaken attention- in Dementia Sufferers?

whileaway

Dec 11, 2015
Is there a simple MP3 player? Oh my

whileaway, we found a simple MP3 player that has become invaluable for my mum, who loves to listen and sing along to her music but had lost the ability to operate her CD player.

It is one of only two of the many dementia friendly devices we've invested in that she's actually been able to work :)

I loaded up a selection of her music and I think I got about 480 tracks on there. Mum absolutely loves it.

As I'm a newbie here I am unable to post links but if you google "MP3 Simple Music Player" you will find it. It is for sale on Spring Chicken website (among others) and there is a full explanation on dementiamusic dot co dot uk.

Oh thanks! I am just going to try the link!
I think there is an opening here for some young techie to make a lot of money by coming up with simple interfaces that the tech-challenged can use. One could load them by the backdoor. I wonder if they could be beamed to a headset. Someone who is gadget averse could work the simple controls while someone techsavvy would load it up. (Quality time with the PWD, seeing what they responded to- and making a playlist of that!)
What if there was a flat screen with images that would show as long as the watcher was responsive to them. When they turned away, up would come another- a window onto the sea or on a garden in the wind, or on birds... But my father is fascinated by a kindle screen, a glowing little theatre. Music is great because it is sublime. Certain music can lift everyone- the resentful, the tired, overworked among us, as well!

Last edited:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
whileaway, we found a simple MP3 player that has become invaluable for my mum, who loves to listen and sing along to her music but had lost the ability to operate her CD player.

It is one of only two of the many dementia friendly devices we've invested in that she's actually been able to work :)

I loaded up a selection of her music and I think I got about 480 tracks on there. Mum absolutely loves it.

As I'm a newbie here I am unable to post links but if you google "MP3 Simple Music Player" you will find it. It is for sale on Spring Chicken website (among others) and there is a full explanation on dementiamusic dot co dot uk.

I think this is the site you're talking about -

http://www.springchicken.co.uk/technology/home-entertainment/simple-mp3-players.html

What an interesting site!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I found this today. It lasts around half an hour but it's well worth watching. It discusses the use of music with people who have dementia and also some with Parkinson's.

http://youtu.be/oGmfPGg4hGQ

Last edited:

HWmusic

Nov 29, 2015
Along with lots of others on TP I believe deeply in the importance of music in relation to dementia.

If my husband won't do something I start to sing, he joins in and then more often or not he'll get up or do whatever it was I was trying to get him to do. He loves listening to music and becomes very emotional at certain types of music. He has tears but in a good way if you know what I mean! This is most obvious when he listens to opera or a pipe band.

We are members of a choir called Total Recall. It's a choir for people with dementia and their carers. We go to weekly rehearsals and have taken part in several major concerts. Bill loves it. His dementia is quite advanced but he can still sing. It's major therapy for us both. The success of this activity is linked to the talents of our choir leader. He is an inspiration and has a real understanding of the needs of people with dementia. (He just happens to be one of Bill's carers as well!).

Hi. I am a contracted Singing Leader for Singing for the Brain, and also a student exploring music and dementia for my dissertation. I found it interesting reading what you had said about you and your husband and how you use music with him in daily life. You also mentioned a choir that you are both involved in, Total Recall. What sort of structure do the rehearsals take? Is it about reminiscing and recalling old familiar songs? Or is it more about learning new unfamiliar pieces? If you feel you want to expand further on how you use music with your husband and the benefits/effects you notice whilst using it during daily life, it would be appreciated (although do not feel it is necessary). Thanks. Hannah.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi Hannah.

Our choir is made up of people with dementia and their carers. Having said that we do also have some members who are quite independent although they have a diagnosis and they come by themselves.

Our choir leader normally begins the session with some fun warm up exercises. These include breathing exercises and vocal exercises. The one which cause much mirth is singing a scale to the words 'double bubble gum'! After that we go into the singing part of the session. We have done a range of songs and most of them are known to the members. We've done songs from musicals, Scottish songs, Christmas songs, songs from the 40s and 50s and so on. We don't often do unfamiliar songs, although we once tried Panis Angelicus with the words written out phonetically!:eek: Some of our members are happy to sing harmony parts to familiar songs.

We have done two major performances a year for the last three years, a summer concert and a Christmas concert.

At present we are at a transitional stage. Last week we became independent of Alzheimer Scotland and are now feeling our way forward. We are all in total agreement that we want our choir to continue and that we enjoy the current format. Our choir leader provides encouragement for those with a diagnosis and challenge for those who want it. He has a background in care as well as in music and that, of course, is very important.

This is our choir singing at an Alzheimer Scotland Christmas Party a couple of years ago-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTNvcsc59WM

Around the house I find that music lifts Bill's mood almost immediately. When I would like him to get up for some reason or other I hold his hands and sing to him. More often than not he will join in the song and come along with me. I use his Playlist for Life ipod with him when he's sitting looking at his catalogues. He has music playing in the room when he has his breakfast. He always sings along or taps in time with the music.

I've posted these links on this thread before I think but I thought it might be useful to put them here again in case you missed them.

This is Bill listening to our carer (who is also our choir leader) playing a song for him. You'll see how closely he is listening and that he joins -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAE5ei-uGqQ

This is him with a Scottish Opera worker during a project our choir undertook with them-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI6g6A_uhnE

superstar

Oct 10, 2013
Please look at the link above my dad had Alzheimer's for years and he's in this video singing along with my mum, music is the greatest thing for dementia they remember old songs, if you can't get on the site go on Alzheimer's society north west I have put it on visitors posts click on there, also there is another video on that site of my granddaughter who is shaving my dad, and he is loving it. X

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leigh_77