Does Music soothe the distress -and reawaken attention- in Dementia Sufferers?

rosieh

Feb 14, 2016
Simple MP3 player

whileaway, we found a simple MP3 player that has become invaluable for my mum, who loves to listen and sing along to her music but had lost the ability to operate her CD player.

It is one of only two of the many dementia friendly devices we've invested in that she's actually been able to work :)

I loaded up a selection of her music and I think I got about 480 tracks on there. Mum absolutely loves it.

As I'm a newbie here I am unable to post links but if you google "MP3 Simple Music Player" you will find it. It is for sale on Spring Chicken website (among others) and there is a full explanation on dementiamusic dot co dot uk.

whileaway

Dec 11, 2015
You are amazing! What a wealth of ideas and information!

Along with lots of others on TP I believe deeply in the importance of music in relation to dementia.

If my husband won't do something I start to sing, he joins in and then more often or not he'll get up or do whatever it was I was trying to get him to do. He loves listening to music and becomes very emotional at certain types of music. He has tears but in a good way if you know what I mean! This is most obvious when he listens to opera or a pipe band.

We are members of a choir called Total Recall. It's a choir for people with dementia and their carers. We go to weekly rehearsals and have taken part in several major concerts. Bill loves it. His dementia is quite advanced but he can still sing. It's major therapy for us both. The success of this activity is linked to the talents of our choir leader. He is an inspiration and has a real understanding of the needs of people with dementia. (He just happens to be one of Bill's carers as well!).

I know many areas have singing for the brain activities -

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=760

I think you would find the Playlist For Life site interesting -

http://www.playlistforlife.org.uk/#2839

I have created a playlist for Bill using iTunes. He can't operate the iPod himself though. He has to have it set up by myself if one of the carers.

I think you'll find this clip interesting and moving -

http://youtu.be/fyZQf0p73QM
I certainly Do. I

mancmum

Feb 6, 2012
Sad music upsets my father

He says he listened to it with my mother before she died. Multiple different slow tunes create that memory.

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
I want to find out if anyone plays lots of music for their carees. (I coin a word here, the phrase, "Loved One", is awful). I tender it as a suggestion for everyone to try.

I have found with my 94 year old father, that music wakes him up, it pleases, delights, moves, him, when words fall away into noise. His era is big band. He also listened to grand ol' opera, being American, and Scott Joplin,-which has a particularly wonderful effect on his mood! Also certain classical pieces, and certain Arias, like Mimi's in La Boheme.

Have others here found music to work? And then, can one get it free on the web, the old songs... Has anyone found an "oldie mp3 player" that a person who has lost touch with gadget-manipulation, can use? What about an oldie line of gadgets? What about everyone with their unhappy, wandering, carees, trying a big dose of music therapy?

Generally speaking people with Alyzheimers seem to enjoy music. OH always liked music and dancing. He was a great dancer. Now it depends on a lot of things. He will listen to some of his music for a short period of time but won't stay on his own listening to it for longer than 3 minutes. Also loud music disturbs him. I guess everyone is so different .

Aisling ( Ireland)

whileaway

Dec 11, 2015
The playlist for life is exactly what I was looking for!

Along with lots of others on TP I believe deeply in the importance of music in relation to dementia.

I think you would find the Playlist For Life site interesting -

http://www.playlistforlife.org.uk/#2839

I have created a playlist for Bill using iTunes. He can't operate the iPod himself though. He has to have it set up by myself if one of the carers.
[/url]

Dear Izzy, I have been distracted and so have not followed All the links until now. They are great. I am very excited about the playlist for life, and have popped onto another music site in this forum also. Have you posted this one there?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Dear Izzy, I have been distracted and so have not followed All the links until now. They are great. I am very excited about the playlist for life, and have popped onto another music site in this forum also. Have you posted this one there?

I probably have but not sure. I'm not sure which thread you mean so please feel free to post about Playlist for Life if you like.

I agreed to do a little bit of research for them. I met with the researcher and she asked me a lot of questions about Bill and how music had free turned in his/our lives. She then gave me a little iPod shuffle and a pair of earphones. She asked to make Bill's play
It's and try it on on him for a week then meet with her again. I did that and he loved it. Some songs made him shed a tear and he joined in or clapped along to others. He has the same reaction to the same songs every time. I doubt if they have soared memories but they have sparked an emotion. Amazing!

whileaway

Dec 11, 2015
Generally speaking people with Alyzheimers seem to enjoy music. OH always liked music and dancing. He was a great dancer. Now it depends on a lot of things. He will listen to some of his music for a short period of time but won't stay on his own listening to it for longer than 3 minutes. Also loud music disturbs him. I guess everyone is so different .

Aisling ( Ireland)

Of course it is not the absolute answer I want it to be, not the grail. Maybe there are many paths and some might be in pictures, in painting, in play, in pet-therapy, in having a bird feeder outside your window- in...

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
It is fascinating! Do you have any sessions posted on youtube? It sounds as though you could have a tremendous influence on how care for this disease is to be realized!

No I haven't. To be honest I never thought of that. I might have a clip of Bill listening to one of his carers playing the piano and him joint in with the song. I'll have a look. I'll try taking a clio of him with the playlist sometime.

whileaway

Dec 11, 2015
Hal sings a bicycle built for two.

I was struck by reading that music was the first sense to come and the last to go. (I am remembering roughly). It resonated with a particular image I've got of the music memory in dementia. In the film 2001, the computer controlling the space-station, Hal, is being shut down part by part. The last memory-cell to be pulled was his first to be put in. He sings "Daisy Daisy, tell me your answer, do..." It is a haunting scene.
My grandmother was named Daisy, and died of dementia, incidentally.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Bill knew when `We`ll meet again` was coming to an end, didn`t he Izzy and was following to to the letter. :)

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Bill knew when `We`ll meet again` was coming to an end, didn`t he Izzy and was following to to the letter. :)

Yes Sylvia. He never ceases to amaze me. He can follow the words of all the songs at the choir and can join in with them.

whileaway

Dec 11, 2015
Music and Dance both! The videos show how they reach us

I've just managed to upload the link to YouTube-

http://youtu.be/GAE5ei-uGqQ

He doesn't sing much but you can see he is engaging with the music.

Here he is during a workshop with Scottish Opera. That's one of the Scottish Opera workers with him.

http://youtu.be/zI6g6A_uhnE

I loved the music, three tenors from Scottish Opera is quite a workshop! Glorious. I was moved by Bill being so with "We'll meet again", following the lyrics, and with the dance, -well he led! He has a light way on his feet. Such a graceful dancer, -(and that sweet smile).

Last edited:

whileaway

Dec 11, 2015
Oh it is too fraught

Caree? CAREE!!! Moi non plus!! My wife IS my 'loved one'.

You are right. I was marked by a books being called That (Nancy Mitford's?). It is just so long to type out. Your beloved, your dear, your lovely- they all fit into 'loved one'. To care for someone is not always to care about them, but it usually means that. Feelings are folded up one with another. To call out the sublime one, is good.