Does Dementia Exist in the Present Moment?

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Hello Simon

Thanks for the link. I read the article with interest and the words I quote below jumped out at me:

Time and time again, I bear witness to the incorruptible self-hood that remains, regardless of the diagnosis or whatever stage in the disease process that is often used to define a person. What do I mean when I use the term “self-hood?” I am talking about a person’s essence—some might call it spirit—that was there at birth and will remain throughout.
I am certainly aware of my husband's 'essence', his inner true self which has always existed. Although he would not be able to participate in the ways mentioned in the article. For one thing he has never been aware he has dementia. Or has been in denial? But he has lost many abilities.

Despite that, I am conscious that his 'self' is still there - and I am not kidding myself on. Perhaps I am the only one who is aware of this, because I know him so well, inside out and upside down. (we met 55 years ago, have been married 53 years) When I visit, despite a decline in his speech, he 'communicates' with me in ways he probably has no opportuity to do with anyone else in the care home. The staff in the care home he had to move into over five months ago perceive him differently. He is just another dementia resident in the dementia wing. They know nothing about the man he was before dementia - and for some time after developing dementia.

I could write more on this subject, in general as well as subjectively, but it is late and I must go to bed.

It would be interesting to hear what others have to say...

Loo