How much more can Mum take?

sue_1

Mum has been on end of life care for well over a year, three times over Christmas I was told that mum might not get over a chest infection but she did. Mum is bed bound, lies in a fetal position as her legs are bent right up, only says yes or no if she does talk, she is asleep most of the time, she has to be woken up to to be fed or given a drink meal times for her takes forever even though she eats and drinks very little, she has now got cataracts, her hands are stuck in a fist position, one arm is bent into her side, she can raise one arm but that one is now slowly bending as well, her weight is only 34.5kg she is just a bag of skin and bone it is heartbreaking to see. Mum would be horrified if she could see herself. Such a cruel cruel way to live your final years. Only one good thing is mum was rewarded CHC a few weeks ago ( all thanks to the care home manager who dealt with the claim) which will be reviewed in three months, somehow I can not see her getting better can you?

Jools1402

This must be so awful for you to watch - I can't imagine how horrible. I hope they are managing to keep your Mum free of pain or discomfort.
When she had the chest infection was it treated with antibiotics? When my Dad was virtually comatose and in obvious distress at the end of his Vascular dementia the nurse at his nursing home called a "best interests" meeting - herself, my brother and I (POAs) and GP. It was decided between us that he would receive no more active treatment and just be treated palliatively until nature took it's course. Would that be something that you might consider @sue_1 or do you feel it is too soon or against what your Mum would have wanted?

Jacaranda16

Mum has been on end of life care for well over a year, three times over Christmas I was told that mum might not get over a chest infection but she did. Mum is bed bound, lies in a fetal position as her legs are bent right up, only says yes or no if she does talk, she is asleep most of the time, she has to be woken up to to be fed or given a drink meal times for her takes forever even though she eats and drinks very little, she has now got cataracts, her hands are stuck in a fist position, one arm is bent into her side, she can raise one arm but that one is now slowly bending as well, her weight is only 34.5kg she is just a bag of skin and bone it is heartbreaking to see. Mum would be horrified if she could see herself. Such a cruel cruel way to live your final years. Only one good thing is mum was rewarded CHC a few weeks ago ( all thanks to the care home manager who dealt with the claim) which will be reviewed in three months, somehow I can not see her getting better can you?
Oh bless you. Life, such as it is, is cruel. It is wrong your Mum is suffering and so are you. We don't animals like this. I know I am booking into Switzerland if I ever get this problem. I am not doing this to my kids. Big squeeze to you All.