Does anyone else feel like they are doing this alone?

WyCassell

Aug 15, 2013
I am sorry this is a venting session- I am the youngest of three and my Brothers are as far from helping my Mother as possible. My husband doesn't like my Mother and all three of my children are very stand-offish. So it is me. My Mother is very set in her ways and complains frequently that nobody cares. She just thinks I am being mean to her, by not giving into all her desires. I had to get extra help just for showers Mother was making every excuse not to bath. My Mother was always a clean person, now she could care less, her want for junk food is increasing and I really don't keep that kind of food in my home, I try to keep healthy food for my Family. She always has a pain and wants pain meds. which I am very controlled on. As for Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy, she makes it clear that she will do what they ask while they are here but will not do it when they leave. This week she has taken to arguing with the nurse who come twice a week. The nurse on my Mothers account doesn't know anything especially about my Mother's illnesses. My Mother want to continue on as she has always. Complications for my Mother is Vascular Dementia and Diabetes. I find myself being mad at my Mother for not managing her Diabetes for years which has caused the Dementia. Now it doesn't matter the cause just that my Mother is sick and doesn't really want help. I have been taking care of her finances since April, because she was getting to confused to manage it for herself, she was overdrawn and behind on everything. She keeps telling me she will know when the time comes that she need to go into a CH, but she doesn't realize the time has come. Mother doesn't get up and exercise her legs which then she gets pains from not moving enough. I will mention to her about taking a walk with me, and she just prefers not to. She even has gone as far as to tell all of the medical people that help out that she will not be available until after her Soap Opera and other television shows are over. I am frustrated nothing has gone as it was supposed to go. I just want her to go back to way she was.

Last edited:

janma221

Apr 23, 2013
Powys
We all wish that the one we care for could be the same person but sadly that doesn't happen. My children don't like my mother, my husband supports me as I have no siblings it is down to me. I know she needs to go into a care home as she lives alone a distance from us and is obviously unable to look after herself properly. I have applied for POA for finance and care but it hasn't come through yet. I don't think she will ever admit to needing to be in a safe place and thinks she manages perfectly well on her own (if only). So keep coming on for a vent it helps to talk to people who understand what this horrible disease can do.
Take care
Jan x

SWMBO1950

Nov 17, 2011
Essex
Hi

I am sorry for what you are going through.

My mother went from the sublime to the ridiculous i.e. fiesty and independent to this white haired little old lady who can do nothing barely for herself.

I get no back up from the invisible in Australia (not even a phone call) so like you I do it all myself although my husband is very good and helps when he is not at work.

I think you may be needing a care assessment as you obviously need help. Contact Social Services and explain the position you are in and tell them you are DESPERATE!

There is a system in place for this but others will be able to advise you of how that works as I do no use SS.

Please vent as much as you wish but get some help!!

Wildflower

Apr 6, 2013
Brighton
You just want your mum to go back to the way she was, and I think that sums it up for all of us. I know how you feel. My 87 year old dad lives with me and my 25 year old daughter, but I am his only carer. He won't accept any help from outside carers. We tried it for two months but he didn't allow them to do a thing. My daughter does not do anything to help him. She cannot accept the way he has become, and yet she used to love him with all her heart and always said he was her best friend. Now she says he is a demented stranger who she does not like. He doesn't know who she is at all, and he recognises me but doesn't know I'm his daughter, he just says he likes me and I'm nice. I know he's still my dad though and I can still remember him being a brilliant dad and granddad, and so I continue to care for him. If he hadn't been such a great dad I wouldn't be doing this alone now, and also if he starts to get very nasty or aggressive I won't continue, but at the moment it's difficult but I'm coping (mostly) I'm an only child and so I have no siblings to help either.

Jaycee23

Jan 6, 2011
uk
I have a mother in law from hell and all her family have given her a wide berth all their lives. If she should ever develop this dementia I do not think I could cope as I cannot cope with what she is like even now. She is self absorbed, self righteous, bossy, self opinionated, tight with her money but will willingly spend yours, never phones us but expects us to phone her even spend an hour talking when we are using a mobile abroad. She is the most tactless person I have ever met and has not got Dementia :eek:

Sergie

Aug 18, 2013
Alnwick, Northumberland
I have a mother in law from hell and all her family have given her a wide berth all their lives. If she should ever develop this dementia I do not think I could cope as I cannot cope with what she is like even now. She is self absorbed, self righteous, bossy, self opinionated, tight with her money but will willingly spend yours, never phones us but expects us to phone her even spend an hour talking when we are using a mobile abroad. She is the most tactless person I have ever met and has not got Dementia :eek:
other than that you quite like her?!......

missmarple

Jan 14, 2013
I want to vent about dad's invisibles

Even though I know it's not entirely reasonable. Dad has alzheimers, has been a widower for 18 years so I have been involved from the get go,no well parent to cope and shield me from the awful truth. I have a brother who has mental illness, they live together. My bro was actually doing quite well at supporting dad until 18 months ago, then his mental illness got worse.
Anyway, dad has 3 surviving siblings. They all live abroad. One sends the odd bossy email requesting I do something, then seems to most enjoy sending follow up disapproving ones, outlining how I did not do things well enough. Or offering money to do things, then when I send him an idea of cost ( eg for new bluer) goes off on one and all but accuses me of financially trying to abuse him. So I don t bother with him anymore. One sister ( who I suspect may have bipolar disorder) cut herself off from the family for nearly 30 years. At dad s request I tracked her down ( easy Internet search) and got into touch.explained the situation, she said she d come and visit, arranged a date etc. she never turned up, didn t ring, din t apologise or give an explanation, made herself unavailable by phone. The third one, maybe the most responsible and sensible of the 3, said she felt dad had reached the point where he d be better off in a CH. she said she d come to look around and check some out with. That didn t happen. She did visit dad over 3 days, then flew home saying realistically, there was nothing more she could do.
They are elderly ranging from 60 s to 80 for the brother. The 2 sisters are in good health as far as I know. None of them ever get in touch wi me now. I have never asked for anything. I think their attitude sucks. There are no other relatives around, and as in the case of my maternal grandfather, I am left to carry everything.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch