Does anybody have experience of an Attended Hearing at COP??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I echo Lyn's words. To have lost your dog amongst all this must be dreadful for you. It's such a difficult thin g to deal with on its own, never mind with all this other stuff going on. You must be so very stressed. So be careful and try to find some way of relieving it - not sure how with your fiance needing support from you too but I hope the tapping helps.

Yes, definitely hold on to that text and give it your legal team. Every little thing will help your case. I wish you and your Mum the very best of luck in this awful situation. xxx

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. They are such a part of the family. You must feel very sad.

I agree with others regarding the text, share it with your legal team but don't respond to it.

Thinking of you.

In a Whirl

Feb 23, 2015
Dear TMB,
If you want to get a flavour of how judgements are reached - previous judgements on all sorts of cases heard at the COP can be read here. (EWCOP = England & Wales Court of Protection.)
You might have to plough through a few before finding something similar.

http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCOP/

You might find it reassuring to see how the evidence is weighed by the Court.

The Court Solicitor should be able to do a great job..as he will be familiar with the way the Court works & what it requires so that's good news.:) You are building team TMB!!

Keep trucking..you are doing fantastically well in very difficult times.

Last edited:

tryingmybest

May 22, 2015
Absolutely in pieces here as had email from the solicitors who said they would be able to represent me with legal aid have now said as I own my own house, despite not having any savings, they cannot do this on legal aid. I am now once again with representation and am devastated. This whole thing is ridiculous. Had I know this fact I would not have spent the last 3 days and nights sorting through every email and piece of documentation and evidence to copy through and email them for nothing. Not very impressed at all!! I really just don't think I can go through with doing this on my own at the hearing.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I am so sorry. It comes as a bitter blow when you think you have got something sorted and then discover that you haven't.
Actually, I suspect that you are underestimating yourself. When you have to do things for your loved ones (because no-one else will) its amazing what you find you can do.
You have all your evidence and sorted it all out. Deep breaths

tryingmybest

May 22, 2015
update

So the first attended hearing has happened and I have to go to court again in a couple of weeks time again as we have to prepare further statements so the judge can decide who should have mum live with them and also who should look after her finances and get deputyship.

Last edited by a moderator:

care2share

Jun 14, 2015
London
So the first attended hearing has happened and I have to go to court again in a couple of weeks time again as we have to prepare further statements so the judge can decide who should have mum live with them and also who should look after her finances and get deputyship.

Hi TMB. Ah!, so one hearing has not been enough to sort out the problems. I expect you're now wondering how many times you'll be making that journey. I'm sorry to hear there is still no resolution. Good luck for next time.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
I'm writing not knowing what has been edited ...

My guess is that it would have been very unlikely for the judge to have given a decision at the first hearing - the law has to be seen to be unbiased and give a considered response.
I also guess that you now know exactly what you are up against and can write your statement accordingly, which in some ways is a fairer situation for you than at the first hearing.
So I hope that you can regroup and give the judge what is needed to make the decision that is best for your mum. When this is all over - your mum's welfare is all that matters.
With every wish for the best outcome ...

tryingmybest

May 22, 2015
Sorry TP have removed some of the posts on here as due to this being dealt with by the court of protection.

May I just ask you to pray for a successful outcome for me and my mum.

Good luck to all of you and a huge thank you to those of you who have taken the time to contact me. You kept me going in my hours of need. Take care of yourselves and your loved ones. Xxxxx

Last edited by a moderator:

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Dear Tryingmybest, please don't go, we can still be here to support you. Whilst the case cannot be discussed on the open forum, I will continue to PM you for support, as I'm sure others would be happy to do too.

The law is a delicate beast and I know you wouldn't want to prejudice your case. This awful period won't last forever, even though it seems like it will!

Thinking of you and hope you are taking time to regroup your thoughts before the next steps.

Jan xx

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
I echo Jan's sentiments. Support doesn't have to just be on the main forum. We are all routing for you. You have shown amazing strength so far.

Love

Lyn T XX

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I won't be posting on this particuar thread any more in case I say something I shouldn't.
I can't think of anything I said on my earlier post that could aid recognition or could be deemed prejudicial so I'm playing safe.
I know that it is in your interest for everyone to be careful.
I do hope you tell us how things pan out and, like Jan has said, you are welcome to PM at any time if you are feeling low or upset in any way. Extra special good luck. xxx

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I won't be posting on this particuar thread any more in case I say something I shouldn't.
I can't think of anything I said on my earlier post that could aid recognition or could be deemed prejudicial so I'm playing safe.
I know that it is in your interest for everyone to be careful.
I do hope you tell us how things pan out and, like Jan has said, you are welcome to PM at any time if you are feeling low or upset in any way. Extra special good luck. xxx

I feel the same.
I didnt think I had said anything that would identify the case, but better safe than sorry.

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
I feel the same.
I didnt think I had said anything that would identify the case, but better safe than sorry.

Me neither, I was just commenting on the general process of the law (or so I thought). Perhaps better safe than sorry from the moderators' viewpoint though.

Anyway, this is just to add my support to you TMB, and hoping that you will feel able to continue to post as things go along.

SerenaS

Staff Member
Apr 7, 2011
London
Hi everyone,

A number of posts on this thread have been either edited or deleted by the administrators/moderators. This has been done because there are quite strict and complicated laws relating to the discussion of Court of Protection proceedings.

Basically Court of Protection proceedings (like proceedings concerning children) are private proceedings and should not be discussed with anyone who is not directly involved in the case. Breaching those rules could amount to the person being found in contempt of court.

A judge may sometimes make an order that some of the details of the case can be reported, subject to personal details such as names being withheld, but unless and until such an order is made the proceedings should not be discussed with anyone not involved in the case. Doing so might land that person in trouble with the court.

Whilst we understand that members may feel the need to seek the support of the forum on such matters, and other members wish to offer that support, it would be best for all concerned if details of the case are not discussed either on the forum or by Private Message.

Where a member posts such details, or if other members refer to that detail in their response, we will endeavour to remove those details for the member’s own protection.

With that in mind, I think it is best to bring this discussion to a close.

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grandaughtercare