Does age matter in family history of dementia?

Dayperson

Feb 18, 2015
Mum finally has her tests next week and brain scan so we will hopefully get a diagnosis soon. I'm just getting together notes and details for the appointment.

I have a detailed diary for the last year or so (things like when she does unusual things) and notes on when we think it started. Her dad her vascular dementia at the age of 85 and her aunt (87) also has it. I guess these are relevant even though she is 67?

Anything else I should be doing in preparation for the tests? The doctor has ordered a blood test first before the appointment I guess to screen for it.

I am relieved that the doctor is finally listening and arranged tests, but also very nervous and anxious about the process and what will happen.

Otiruz

Nov 28, 2015
Kent
Mum finally has her tests next week and brain scan so we will hopefully get a diagnosis soon. I'm just getting together notes and details for the appointment.

I have a detailed diary for the last year or so (things like when she does unusual things) and notes on when we think it started. Her dad her vascular dementia at the age of 85 and her aunt (87) also has it. I guess these are relevant even though she is 67?

Anything else I should be doing in preparation for the tests? The doctor has ordered a blood test first before the appointment I guess to screen for it.

I am relieved that the doctor is finally listening and arranged tests, but also very nervous and anxious about the process and what will happen.

Hello Dayperson,

It's sounds as if you have been very thorough and organised in preparation for your Mum's diagnosis. This is very commendable and Im guessing previous family history has helped to focus you. Try not to be worried about the process - take each day as it comes, visit TP when you have a question. Im sorry I am unable to answer your question re age, possibly you could enquire with your Mum's GP, your own or at the hospital where the scan is to take place. As an aside, my grandmother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's aged 90, she had 12 children and none of them were ever been diagnosed.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
In my husband's family dementia showed in the late seventies and early eighties and so far only with males. Those of his brothers who died before that age of other illnesses we will never know if they might have had dementia but his grandfather, father and three brothers as well as himself all followed the same pattern. Death occurred between 85 and 90. Sobering thought.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
My wife's number 5 out of 6 children and 3 of them are 14+ years older than her, the oldest is 19 years older, however, they're still all fine, driving cars, holidaying abroad and running their own lives, my wife (at 63) is in a care home and doesn't really know who I am anymore. I think it's more a matter of treating the situation as it is and not trying to predict what is going to happen, the one thing with AZ is that you can't predict anything, the only thing you'll get from the doctors and consultants is their best (professional) guess, I've always to found they very reluctant to commit to anything more than a load of generalisations.
K

Dayperson

Feb 18, 2015
Some interesting facts there. I'm currently putting together a file for the appointment listing family history, her medical history in summary and all the notes from the last year so I hope this will help in her diagnosis.