Doctors Incintivised 55 pounds for Dementia Diagnosis

Curtis

Dec 3, 2014
Orpington, UK
Hey all,

Wanted to get a general consensus on every ones opinion as to the new incentive given to general practitioners to motivate more dementia diagnosis.

I feel that it is really good that doctors will start measuring brain health and looking more closely at cognitive function. However to give them a reward for a job they are doing seems a little over the top.

Doctors will get paid an additional 55pounds per dementia diagnosis. Will this motivate them to really check and see if patients are performing well or will it just inspire a less thorough and hasty decision?

What do you think?

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
This will be stopped next year, thank god. They might have realised people are up in arms about it.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Hey all,

Wanted to get a general consensus on every ones opinion as to the new incentive given to general practitioners to motivate more dementia diagnosis.

I feel that it is really good that doctors will start measuring brain health and looking more closely at cognitive function. However to give them a reward for a job they are doing seems a little over the top.

Doctors will get paid an additional 55pounds per dementia diagnosis. Will this motivate them to really check and see if patients are performing well or will it just inspire a less thorough and hasty decision?

What do you think?

This incentive has now been withdrawn

Sammyjo1

Jul 8, 2014
A friend of mine is a GP and she is incredibly embarrassed about it, especially as this incentive goes direct to the GP unlike some which go to the practice which makes more sense.

She's very glad it is being withdrawn

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
A friend of mine is a GP and she is incredibly embarrassed about it, especially as this incentive goes direct to the GP unlike some which go to the practice which makes more sense.

She's very glad it is being withdrawn

That's very good to hear Sammyjo.

There were quite a few comments against this online on the usual social websites.
A fair proportion were from GP's who felt very uncomfortable.

Take care

Lyn T

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
I am very glad this is going as I can see no benefit to the person receiving the diagnosis. However, £55 into the pot to fund Admiral nurses would really be worthwhile, especially if this would enable the Admiral nurse to visit the newly diagnosed and explain what local support is available.
Tre

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I can see benefits in diagnosis just not in doctors getting paid twice for doing their job.

Curtis

Dec 3, 2014
Orpington, UK
Yeah it seemed a little weird to get paid an extra 55 quid that they are already doing. I understand the extra motivation but I would also agree that the nurses and caregivers are the ones that really need the money as that's where the burden seems to weighs most heavily.