Doctor's Appointments

Rishile

Dec 28, 2022
My husband received a letter from the doctor's surgery at the weekend. He needs to make appointments for a blood test, a review with the nurse for his heart condition and a face-to-face appointment with the GP for a dementia review. At the end of the letter, I quote:

"It is important to attend your review appointment so we can ensure your condition is properly controlled and managed. If you run out of your repeat medication and have not had a review, we may not be able to re-authorise your repeat medication."

I rang the surgery on Monday to make the appointments. Blood test - OK. Appointment with Nurse - OK. When it came to booking the face-to-face with the GP, the receptionist looked for a while then said there were no available appointments for the rest of this year!! Next year's appointments hadn't yet been entered onto the system.

How crazy is this?

leny connery

Nov 13, 2022
My husband received a letter from the doctor's surgery at the weekend. He needs to make appointments for a blood test, a review with the nurse for his heart condition and a face-to-face appointment with the GP for a dementia review. At the end of the letter, I quote:

"It is important to attend your review appointment so we can ensure your condition is properly controlled and managed. If you run out of your repeat medication and have not had a review, we may not be able to re-authorise your repeat medication."

I rang the surgery on Monday to make the appointments. Blood test - OK. Appointment with Nurse - OK. When it came to booking the face-to-face with the GP, the receptionist looked for a while then said there were no available appointments for the rest of this year!! Next year's appointments hadn't yet been entered onto the system.

How crazy is this?
that is not crazy, it is totally not acceptable. I have no words regarding some of our front line services. how are we to wait that long if something happens that needs to be attended to? private health are now being advertised everywhere and they get priority, but isn't it still using NHS hospitals though? on a wing and a prayer, plese Lord, don't let me be sick and needing to see a doctor.

Rishile

Dec 28, 2022
leave no stone unturned. Yet, why? as if there was not enough worry as it is. Good luck
I agree. Just finding the time to phone the doctor's surgery is difficult. It usually means holding on for an hour listening to the message 'you are number 23 in the queue. You will be answered in the next hour and 23 minutes.'

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019

How crazy is this?
That is totally unacceptable @Rishile I thought that it was bad getting an appointment at my doctors but that definitely wins hands down. I would agree with the suggestion of calling your MP. You could also consider contacting the practice manager.
Is it any wonder that so many people go to A&E.

Galloping grannie

Feb 24, 2022
Our doctor has never offered a dementia review in the eight years since we first went with a dementia problem. We had a visit from the memory team in response to a call from myself. Over two years since they last made contact. The person that saw us decided she would get me a face to face doctors appointment after realising I was suffering burn out. She only managed to get me an appointment with a counsellor . The counsellor decided I needed to see a doctor but only managed to get me a appointment with a nurse practitioner . I finally got an appointment with a trainee doctor. And so it goes on, won’t bore you with the rest of the saga.

Rishile

Dec 28, 2022
I don't really see the point of a dementia review as my husband only came out of hospital four months ago following a six-week assessment and monitoring. Maybe the GP hasn't realised this.