Do we need DOLs for Dad if he refuses respite care?

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Don't know if anyone else on here has been subject to a DoLS order themselves, I post on here as a now former carer (wife passed away) been on here over 10 years so I think you know who I am by now.
There's a gap in my posts and for a part of that time I was under a DoLS order, doesn't make me an expert, but I've been there, all better now hence I'm back here annoying you lot.
K

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
I agree with @northumbrian_k . My mum is under a DoLs order because without it the home she is in could not lock the doors to prevent the residents wandering off onto the street. The DoLs order is reviewed every year and I am consulted on this. At no point does the order mention any kind of restrictions on care just on her ability to leave as she no longer has mental capacity and would be in grave danger the moment she left the building . She is cared for very well, she has a choice of getting involved in activities or not, she can sleep when she wants, stay in her PJs all day if she wants, get her hair cut, have trips out with staff etc. The only thing she can’t do is go out on her own.

Rayreadynow

Dec 31, 2023
I can say with certainty that the Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards Authorisation that has been applied to my wife and renewed annually has made no practical difference to the care that she has received. It exists simply to allow her to be kept within the care home behind a locked outer door. This is for her own safety and gives me peace of mind too.

My wife can't process complex information or make rational choices. She would not be able to do so now, but when she first moved in she was quite capable of leaving the premises in pursuance of her wish to go home. Unfortunately that 'home' was the one she remembered as a safe place from her childhood. It no longer exists. I would rather that she had the minimal restriction that has been imposed than have her wandering the streets at great risk.

I don't understand the assertion that a DoLS authorisation puts power in the hands of the care home manager. A proper process exists to represent and protect my wife's welfare, including my appointment as her Relevant Person's Representative.
I do apologise. Your situation is exactly how the DoLS system should work as you can safeguard or question the restrictions in place as you are the RPR. You have said 'minimal restrictions' , but imagine there are not enough staff to accompany your wife on her outings, then the care home manager could use DoLS as a reason not to take your wife out. I was purely commenting on my experience when its not possible to appoint a member of the family as an RPR.