Do I have a terminal illness?

WJG

Sep 13, 2020
I’m interested in people’s opinions. I was filling out a form the other day that asked ‘Do you have a terminal illness?’ and I realised I wasn’t sure what to put.
Should I say ‘yes’ in that I have Alzheimer’s Disease, which is now the leading cause of death in the UK?
Should I put ‘no’ in that I am in the early stages of the Disease and no one has given me a terminal prognosis?

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
I’m interested in people’s opinions. I was filling out a form the other day that asked ‘Do you have a terminal illness?’ and I realised I wasn’t sure what to put.
Should I say ‘yes’ in that I have Alzheimer’s Disease, which is now the leading cause of death in the UK?
Should I put ‘no’ in that I am in the early stages of the Disease and no one has given me a terminal prognosis?
some forms mean terminal mean a life expectancy of a certain length, 1 year i think but i would clarify what they mean.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
@WJG
The choice is yours, I think the first makes more sense

The current legal definition of terminal illness in the UK states that someone must have six months or less to live to claim fast track access to a number of benefits at the highest rate under the Special Rules for Terminal Illness in the UK.

There's no right or wrong way to feel when you're told you have a terminal illness, which is a health condition that cannot be cured and that you'll most likely die from.

EDIT
Terminal Illness (Support and Rights) Bill

Only reached second reading

Last edited: