Disturbed nights

jerocl

Jun 10, 2012
Devon
Does anyone have any advice on help with coping with a partner who spends the majority of the night in and out of bed? I have asked for sleeping tablets for him but been told the problems if taking them not the benefits and I still struggle on. What about the carer who gets very little sleep?

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Do you get up and bring him back to bed? Sometimes it is recommended that you make, say, downstairs safe for him and provided he can't get out or light a fire or the stove then let him be. The idea being that as long as you know he can't come to any harm you might be able to relax enough to get another couple of hours sleep.

Fiona

jerocl

Jun 10, 2012
Devon
Do you get up and bring him back to bed? Sometimes it is recommended that you make, say, downstairs safe for him and provided he can't get out or light a fire or the stove then let him be. The idea being that as long as you know he can't come to any harm you might be able to relax enough to get another couple of hours sleep.

Fiona

Thanks Fiona, yes downstairs is safe as long as he doesn't do any of the things you mentioned and to guarantee that I need to check so no proper sleep I'm afraid. I also work full time so it's becoming a bit if a nightmare.

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Hi,
I can totally sympathise with what you are experiencing, it's so very draining. Our GP prescribed sleeping pills for hubby when we were in this position and it did help, taking them became part of the bed time routine and it meant that I got at least two or three hours of good sleep a night, it did make a big difference!

What is the problem with taking them?
I hope you get this sorted soon and can relax a bit, with best wishes from Jo

jerocl

Jun 10, 2012
Devon
Hi,
I can totally sympathise with what you are experiencing, it's so very draining. Our GP prescribed sleeping pills for hubby when we were in this position and it did help, taking them became part of the bed time routine and it meant that I got at least two or three hours of good sleep a night, it did make a big difference!

What is the problem with taking them?
I hope you get this sorted soon and can relax a bit, with best wishes from Jo

Hi Jo, thanks for your message and yes I'm going to speak to GP this week M had zopliclone prescribed a while back but didn't really help so hoping for something better this time. What prescription did you have? Using ear plugs but not ideal as can't hear if anything happens. KR Jeanne

Lowlander

Jun 3, 2013
Scotland
Does anyone have any advice on help with coping with a partner who spends the majority of the night in and out of bed? I have asked for sleeping tablets for him but been told the problems if taking them not the benefits and I still struggle on. What about the carer who gets very little sleep?

With you working full time this must be a major problem.
When my husband came back to live at home after he was diagnosed with ATD I went for separate living areas. As his night time walking became a problem, frightening me standing by my bed in the dark, I put a heavy lockable door to his rooms. This meant he was safely confined at night, away from the fire, and the kitchen.
Every night I explained about it and that he was to bang on it if he needed me. After a few weeks he accepted it. This meant I could have people to stay, without him going to respite. I was better tempered, Gp gave me some sleeping tablets for occasional use.

I often would check on MH in the night and was amazed to find he had learnt to use his CD and radio, after a gap of years, (I'd reduced the Aricept) and was often just sitting listening to music.
Later on, I used to get up in the night and have a mop around ( I threw out the carpets) so he wasn't paddling in his own urine. Make him a drink and a sandwich etc.
Things got calmer for a while and it meant he could live at home longer.
I realise a lot of houses wouldn't lend themselves to doing this.
But a big bedroom? Small ensuite?
Just an idea.

fullmoon

May 22, 2013
I sympathise with your position. My mum has started getting up in the evening and opening her annex door which then activates an alarm call from telecare to us. We had two phone calls last night again which means we have to get up and go out to check her. Usually she is dressed and up thinking its daytime despite numerous attempts at trying to tell her if its dark outside stay in bed:rolleyes:. Trouble on the occasional night we don't get a phone call you tend to wake up expecting one!

jerocl

Jun 10, 2012
Devon
With you working full time this must be a major problem.
When my husband came back to live at home after he was diagnosed with ATD I went for separate living areas. As his night time walking became a problem, frightening me standing by my bed in the dark, I put a heavy lockable door to his rooms. This meant he was safely confined at night, away from the fire, and the kitchen.
Every night I explained about it and that he was to bang on it if he needed me. After a few weeks he accepted it. This meant I could have people to stay, without him going to respite. I was better tempered, Gp gave me some sleeping tablets for occasional use.

I often would check on MH in the night and was amazed to find he had learnt to use his CD and radio, after a gap of years, (I'd reduced the Aricept) and was often just sitting listening to music.
Later on, I used to get up in the night and have a mop around ( I threw out the carpets) so he wasn't paddling in his own urine. Make him a drink and a sandwich etc.
Things got calmer for a while and it meant he could live at home longer.
I realise a lot of houses wouldn't lend themselves to doing this.
But a big bedroom? Small ensuite?
Just an idea.
Many thanks for your advice sadly my home is not as sizeable as yours appears to be although like you I have a lock on my bedroom door so that M can't burst in during the night and switch my light on. I might be a little behind but what is ATD? I would love to think he could get up and listen to music but sadly all skills in using any electronic equipment are long gone.

jerocl

Jun 10, 2012
Devon
I sympathise with your position. My mum has started getting up in the evening and opening her annex door which then activates an alarm call from telecare to us. We had two phone calls last night again which means we have to get up and go out to check her. Usually she is dressed and up thinking its daytime despite numerous attempts at trying to tell her if its dark outside stay in bed:rolleyes:. Trouble on the occasional night we don't get a phone call you tend to wake up expecting one!

Yes like you I expect to be woken up every night. Tonight we are going to try sleeping tablets agin but trying to keep him up after 7pm is going to be a struggle!! Night and day seem to have completely switched in his life. Hope something will work, perhaps I'll take the sleepers instead!!

Lowlander

Jun 3, 2013
Scotland
Many thanks for your advice sadly my home is not as sizeable as yours appears to be although like you I have a lock on my bedroom door so that M can't burst in during the night and switch my light on. I might be a little behind but what is ATD? I would love to think he could get up and listen to music but sadly all skills in using any electronic equipment are long gone.
I am very sorry hearing more of your difficulties.
By ATD I meant Alzheimer -type dementia.
L

jerocl

Jun 10, 2012
Devon
I am very sorry hearing more of your difficulties.
By ATD I meant Alzheimer -type dementia.
L

Hi , M has been diagnosed with mixed dementia so a double whammy really. Huge down turn recently which has been a shock and struggle for us all including him although he is oblivious to it all I think. Do wonder what will happen next ?

Reds

Sep 5, 2011
Hertfordshire
My hubby gets up during the early hours on a regular basis. He falls asleep in his chair and is quite happy, so im happy having more sleeping space in our bed! ha.

jerocl

Jun 10, 2012
Devon
My hubby gets up during the early hours on a regular basis. He falls asleep in his chair and is quite happy, so im happy having more sleeping space in our bed! ha.

Yes having the king size to yourself is probably the only benefit of this terrible condition. I just wish that my husband would sleep in a chair when he gets up instead he just wanders and makes sure I don't sleep either although I know it's not him it's his dementia that is destroying our lives together. Cruel life that's for sure.