Discharge support

Confused Kat

Dec 24, 2023
FIL contracted covid and pneumonia in hospital 2 weeks now. Medically fit for discharge they are suggesting but is still weak and not as well as went in just getting over norovrius he caught in hospital a few days ago. Was mobile could walk around the block and climb stairs before he went in. Can you help with this transition. He’s not as mobile and the hospital setting isn’t helping him physically recover they are letting him lie in bed a lot and not encouraging him to be mobile. I know it’s hard situation in hospital at the moment. But I feel they are rushing him out of the system for us to deal with.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Has anyone mentioned discharge to assess (D2A) . I think it may depend if he needs physical support to recover from the illness or if the dementia has progressed due to the illness and he needs care support to be provided.
If he is medically well enough then he really should be out of hospital and being home might actually speed up the process of getting better. The problem with dementia is you don’t know what better will look like. Ask if he can have a care package to ease him back into being at home .

Confused Kat

Dec 24, 2023
Thanks for taking time to reply.
Today not as good. His blood pressure dropped whilst trying see his mobility and back on IV fluids. I certainly think he’s not ready t come home. Will investigate options thanks. Maybe they will support with some package but not sure as some members on here feet ave mixed experience of it being funded.
He’s practically unconscious today. 😓
Such a rollercoaster

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Confused Kat , sorry to hear your dad isn't too well today. Having all those things in quick succession would be enough to knock most of us off our feet. I think try to find the hospital social worker and talk about discharge to assess. A few weeks in a care home should allow you to see if your dad would manage at home with a care package or if he needs more care.
As I understand it the first six weeks should be funded, after that if your dad has assets of over £23,500 he will have to fund his own care. I hope the information below might be useful.

Confused Kat

Dec 24, 2023
Thanks so much for your reply. Appreciate you taking time to. Will see what next few days bring. 🤞
Awfully quick decline so terrible situation given he has acute illness that has caused it.
Stay well and thanks again.

Alisongs

May 17, 2024
East of England
FIL contracted covid and pneumonia in hospital 2 weeks now. Medically fit for discharge they are suggesting but is still weak and not as well as went in just getting over norovrius he caught in hospital a few days ago. Was mobile could walk around the block and climb stairs before he went in. Can you help with this transition. He’s not as mobile and the hospital setting isn’t helping him physically recover they are letting him lie in bed a lot and not encouraging him to be mobile. I know it’s hard situation in hospital at the moment. But I feel they are rushing him out of the system for us to deal with.
Contact Social Services, and organisations for the frail and elderly, as you have done here, for what support and aids there are locally to help with discharge. Social services actually has legal responsibility for care of a vulnerable person, not family or friends. A few weeks care at home or in a care setting can be organised by the hospital discharge team for free under NHS Continuing Care. District nurse visits for medication could be permanent. Don't be rushed into doing it all. That is the impression given, but it is not legally correct.

Last edited:

Confused Kat

Dec 24, 2023
Thanks so much for your help. He’s got much more poorly so not sure how things will play out. I think I will need to seek advice in EOL forum 😞

Confused Kat

Dec 24, 2023
Thanks lovely. Hope all good with you. 💐 Better to go quickly than for him to suffer and have no quality of life. I know I wouldn’t want it for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DevotedDaughter23