Deputyship

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
A question about the forms. I have documents from the social worker and psychiatrist which has a lot of info about my brother, should I send these as evidence if I apply?
Basically all that is needed is a statement of capacity which they may not be prepared to sign, several members have had to use an independent social worker

Other documents might help with an urgent application to give control over brother, a professional deputy would soon sort out brother without your involvement.

ian01

Dec 10, 2023
Basically all that is needed is a statement of capacity which they may not be prepared to sign, several members have had to use an independent social worker

Other documents might help with an urgent application to give control over brother, a professional deputy would soon sort out brother without your involvement.
Thanks Nitram, I'm having a go at the forms. I've already done cop4. I currently doing cop3 and question 2.2 asks 'What order are you asking the court to make?' Any idea how I answer this?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
That's great thanks. Now I'm stuck on 3.1
"Please provide details about any practicable steps you know of, which may help the person make their own
decision(s)" Any suggestions?
Think about things that might help - things like explaining in simple words, cut down on the number of choices, choose a time when she is not tired and making sure she is well hydrated.
Any of these things (plus any other that you are aware of) that make it easier for to make choices are things you can put down

ian01

Dec 10, 2023
Think about things that might help - things like explaining in simple words, cut down on the number of choices, choose a time when she is not tired and making sure she is well hydrated.
Any of these things (plus any other that you are aware of) that make it easier for to make choices are things you can put down
Thanks canary I've managed to think of a few things I can put down.

ian01

Dec 10, 2023
Mum rang me last night in tears begging me for £50 because she's under a lot pressure from my brother to get money due to his massive debts. I don't want the responsibility of managing her finances now, begging me for cash has a very negative effect on my mental health so I've decided to let social services apply for deputyship. I know it'll cost more but I can't take any more I've had enough. I need to think of my own health. I hope COP will consider an urgent application because this isn't a normal situation.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
I can fully understand this @ian01 . I manage all of my mums affairs and there are very few complications but I find it a huge responsibility and can struggle at times. Your brothers behaviour is adding so much difficulty to this and having a third party involved will safeguard you and hopefully your mum.

ian01

Dec 10, 2023
I can fully understand this @ian01 . I manage all of my mums affairs and there are very few complications but I find it a huge responsibility and can struggle at times. Your brothers behaviour is adding so much difficulty to this and having a third party involved will safeguard you and hopefully your mum.
Thanks sap, I'm at the end of my tether now. My brother has huge debts because of drugs so he'll be under pressure himself to pay them thus pressuring Mum. I can't believe what a disgusting man he is pressuring his 90 yr old mother for money. His debts are his problem not mums or mine.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I can fully understand your problem @ian01
I had deputyship for mum, but her finances were straightforward and I didnt have other members of the family sticking their oar in. I know the application is a bit of a faff and you were having trouble with it, so I can quite see that getting SS to apply may well be the best solution in your mums case.

Do contact SS and explain why you dont feel able to apply yourself so that they are aware of your brother financially abusing her.

ian01

Dec 10, 2023
Thanks Canary, Even if I had deputyship it wouldn't stop my brother pressuring mum for cash and that's the problem. So I think I'm making the correct decision.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tired2023