Deputyship application

ohbatman

Feb 21, 2024
Unfortunately we have left it too late to apply for LPA, so we're having to go down the deputyship route for my mum.

I had a few questions that i can't find answers to online, and was hoping someone who has done it recently could advise?

We're looking to fill it out ourselves as i honestly don't have £2k+ for a solicitor - the form states we have to advise my mum with what we're doing but she barely knows what's going on day to day, is this necessary?

Telling three people - does it have to be 3 people? For instance a social worker will be filling out the form that is connected to her, I can tell my aunt. Do i then need to tell a doctor too?

Sending the forms - I take it will fill them out in person, and can then scan them and send them via the online form?

Thanks in advance for anyone that can help :)

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @ohbatman

I had deputyship for my mum and applied for it myself

To answer your questions -
Yes you do have to tell her, even if she has no idea what you are talking about and I seem to remember that you have to write down what you said. Dont go into detail - I think I just told mum that it was a form so that I could legally look after her money for her.

Yes you do have to tell 3 people. If there isnt any other family/friends then write down the SW, GP or care agency/care home manager (if applicable).

I know it seems a waste of time, but it has to be done. There have been threads on here from people who have omitted this and had their forms sent back for them to do it

ohbatman

Feb 21, 2024
Hello @ohbatman

I had deputyship for my mum and applied for it myself

To answer your questions -
Yes you do have to tell her, even if she has no idea what you are talking about and I seem to remember that you have to write down what you said. Dont go into detail - I think I just told mum that it was a form so that I could legally look after her money for her.

Yes you do have to tell 3 people. If there isnt any other family/friends then write down the SW, GP or care agency/care home manager (if applicable).

I know it seems a waste of time, but it has to be done. There have been threads on here from people who have omitted this and had their forms sent back for them to do it
Thank you for you - That makes sense. I'll be sure to make sure i've done that

ian01

Dec 10, 2023
I'm in a similar situation and may have to go down the deputyship route as mum refused to do POA. I was quoted £1500 +vat +court fees +Dr fees so probably about £2000 which is a lot of money. I'll probably enquire at the CAB to see if they can offer any advice.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I'm in a similar situation and may have to go down the deputyship route as mum refused to do POA. I was quoted £1500 +vat +court fees +Dr fees so probably about £2000 which is a lot of money. I'll probably enquire at the CAB to see if they can offer any advice.
I did the application for deputyship for mum myself.
I had to pay for the court fees (£400 at the time) and you have to pay for someone to sign the form stating that they have lost capacity, also postage and photocopying. Its a lot cheaper that way. I found it a bit of a faff and there was a fair bit of paper shuffling, but doable

CAB can usually help with the form filling