Deputy of Court of Protection

Becky Sims

Apr 6, 2024
Hi everyone, I'm new here. Dad recently was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and Vascular Dementia, and probable Lewy Body dementia.
GP advised dad did not have capacity to agree to Lasting Power of Attorney.

GP and Consultant have both advised me to apply to be deputy of court of protection so I'm working my way through the forms!
Quick question - if I am applying to be both deputy of 'personal welfare' and 'property and affairs', do I need to submit two separate applications on separate forms, or can I submit one combined application for both?

Really hoping someone here can help -and thanks in advance.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Personal welfare COP deputy is extremely rare, the court much prefers to deal with any problematic decisions on a case by case basis.

The different types of deputyship.

For a health and welfare deputy you will be responsible for decisions on medical treatment and how someone is being looked after. 

You’ll only be appointed for a health deputyship under certain circumstances. You can find out more on when to apply for a health deputyship online.

Last edited:

Becky Sims

Apr 6, 2024
Thank you, I've read everything on the gov.uk website but still can't work out if I need one or two forms.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Two forms, just to simplify progress.

From the link I posted.

Welfare decision
Permission to apply In most personal welfare applications, the court’s permission to apply is needed in order to make an application.
The following will usually need permission:
• local authorities;
• NHS trusts;
• family members or friends;

thistlejak

Jun 6, 2020
We had to do Deputyship for MIL & FIL - we only did the financial one for them - all medical issues were dealt with either as NOK or with a Best Interest Meeting. As @nitram says health Deputyships are rarely granted and are for a specific issue.