Depression and lack of motivation

sunandclouds

Nov 18, 2023
My stepfather has become increasingly depressed since his diagnosis and it is hard to know what to do. He spends as much time in bed/asleep as he can. He does get up most days if prompted multiple times, but says he has ‘no strength’ and is not interested in doing anything. He has had many appointments with his GP about feeling physically unwell but they can find nothing wrong. Is this common? Has anyone found any strategies that might help? He is awaiting an appointment with a psychiatrist but, as he is already on an antidepressant, I’m not sure what else they can offer.
Thank you for any advice.

Edit: When he does get up and goes out, he feels more positive afterwards, it’s how to find motivation to do that?

Last edited:

leny connery

Nov 13, 2022
depression saps our strength and will to live, doesn't it? anti depressant is just making people even more 'relaxed' does it not? I do not know really. Does he like pets? a cat or a calm dog who he can just enjoy as a warm and fuzzy company?

sunandclouds

Nov 18, 2023
depression saps our strength and will to live, doesn't it? anti depressant is just making people even more 'relaxed' does it not? I do not know really. Does he like pets? a cat or a calm dog who he can just enjoy as a warm and fuzzy company?
It does. I read that antidepressants don’t tend to work so well if someone has dementia anyway. They don’t have any pets, he’s not keen on animals inside the house!

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
It does. I read that antidepressants don’t tend to work so well if someone has dementia anyway. They don’t have any pets, he’s not keen on animals inside the house!
depression can cause lack of motivation. its easier to stay in bed where its nice, warm and comfortable and the hours go by faster. different types of anti-depressants do different things. im on 2, 1 to motivate and be more positive and 1 that calms me down and helps me to drift off to sleep. there also different strengths and it is trial and error as to which combination and which strengths work for that person.

sunandclouds

Nov 18, 2023
depression can cause lack of motivation. its easier to stay in bed where its nice, warm and comfortable and the hours go by faster. different types of anti-depressants do different things. im on 2, 1 to motivate and be more positive and 1 that calms me down and helps me to drift off to sleep. there also different strengths and it is trial and error as to which combination and which strengths work for that person.
Thank you. We’ll see what the psychiatrist says.