Dementia

Acelen

Jan 4, 2024
Hi my name is Adrienne,
When you are diagnosed with mild Dimentia, does it always progress into Alzheimer’s?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Acelen and welcome to the forum

Dementia is a general diagnosis and Alzheimers is just one form of it, but there are lots of other types of dementia - vascular dementia, Lewy body dementia and frontotemporal dementia are all other common types of dementia

I think that what you are actually asking though, is does dementia always progress? And Im afraid that it does. Sometimes it progresses very slowly and sometimes it progresses quickly, but whichever type of dementia you have, it cant be cured or halted.

So the answer is to plan ahead. Organise your Power of Attorney and your will.
Do you have someone (a spouse or family member) who you trust and can follow their advice when things start to become more difficult?
Apart from this, enjoy things that you can still do and be prepared to do other things that maybe you hadnt previously considered
xx

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello Adrienne @Acelen and welcome to this friendly and supportive forum. There is a lot of shared experience of dementia to be found here, so I am glad you have joined us.
You have already received good and helpful advice which I cannot really add to. There is no set path for dementia - it is a different journey for everyone, so try to continue to enjoy what you like to do and take each day as it comes.
I hope you will find this forum useful for information, and any particular advice if you need it, do just ask, as members here really do want to help.