Dementia worse after MI

nanceh

Mar 10, 2008
Hi,
My dad had an MI on 2/14. Since then his dementia has worsened so much. He hangs his head down all day and some days does not even know who I am. Before the heart attack he was still very active. He lived at home with me and still went out with his friends sometimes. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there any hope that he will return to his baseline?
Thanks for Listening
Nance

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Nance, I just wanted to welcome you to TP.

I'm sorry your dad has declined so much since his heart attack. I doubt if anyone will be able to tell you to what extent he will recover, it varies so much from person to person.

Hopefully someone will be along soon with some experience of this to share.

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
Dear Nance,

I am so sorry to hear about your Dad. I don't have any direct experience in this, but as I understand it, the type of dementia called Vascular Dementia is seriously affected by a heart attack.

Alzheimers seems to result in a gradual decline, whereas V.Dem. goes in "steps and stairs" - that is: runs smoothly until a vascular event such as a Myocardial Infarction (heart attack) then goes down sharply. Then settles down again until another vascular event occurs such as a mini-stroke, more heart trouble, etc.

If your Dad has a V. Dem. diagnosis, your description would fit this pattern. However, I am NOT a doctor, so you would be wise to check with the doctor about his decline. It could be something else.

This is a very difficult journey, and I'm so sorry for you that you are on it too. Every best wish to you and your Dad.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grandaughtercare