Dementia - Swallowing difficulties - Require Dentist home visit asap - GP won't help

Linzie

Oct 2, 2021
My father has vascular dementia and few months ago had aspiration pneumonia, now the swallowing is more difficult and take a few seconds to complete the full swallow.

Complained to GP about swallowing issues in 3-4 months ago, no help from GP.

Seen private consultant who made diagnosis of aspiration pneumonia from the hosital xray he was able to access. He provided a letter, which I gave to the GP - only then the GP decided to make a referral to SALTS (otherwise they would not have done anything) - still waiting 4-5 weeks on!!

Consultant said father needs to be prioritised on the letter, constant having to ring the GP and finally they sent an urgent referall.

Asked for community dental service 4 months ago and nothing at all so far, really need dentist ASAP to sort of dental hygene which can play a part in aspiration pneumonia.

Can anyone put me in contact with a dentist that does home visits - I'm willing to pay, based in west yorkshire

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
my husband has swallowing problems called dysphasia i believe. my gp referred to SALT and they phoned first for like an assessment. he was partially choking. i had to keep a food diary to see what he had difficulty swallowing. they did a home visit and assessed his swallowing when eating and he has to have a soft diet. the barium meal/ swallow test confirmed his problem. he was told that he could have been at risk of choking, chest infections due to aspiration if he didnt eat the right food. we were lucky in that i was very quick to ask after advice from this forum.

Linzie

Oct 2, 2021
my husband has swallowing problems called dysphasia i believe. my gp referred to SALT and they phoned first for like an assessment. he was partially choking. i had to keep a food diary to see what he had difficulty swallowing. they did a home visit and assessed his swallowing when eating and he has to have a soft diet. the barium meal/ swallow test confirmed his problem. he was told that he could have been at risk of choking, chest infections due to aspiration if he didnt eat the right food. we were lucky in that i was very quick to ask after advice from this forum.
Hi, My father has dysphasia, I reported swallowing difficulties to the GP 4 months ago and the GP ignored it, did nothing.

How long did it take for SALT to go to your house?

Are you having to puree your food and what texture?

Have you got a rescue pack of meds in case of aspiration?

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Hi, My father has dysphasia, I reported swallowing difficulties to the GP 4 months ago and the GP ignored it, did nothing.

How long did it take for SALT to go to your house?

Are you having to puree your food and what texture?

Have you got a rescue pack of meds in case of aspiration?
they contacted me within the week as he was choking. explain the problem. avoided the foods he was finding hard to swallow. monitored for 6 weeks to check if he had any other choking episodes and came round 2 months later to the house. not pureed but soft. she said if you can press it with a fork like mash and it mashes thats fine but if it stays the same, then its a risk food. making a food moist rather than dry eg. dry cake could be made moist by cream or custard so its not dry crumbs. no rescue pack but he has COPD which leaves a build up of mucus in the throat so they gave him a steroid nose spray to loosen the mucus as he couldnt cough it up either. this was what happened with my husband but could be different in different areas or have different ways of assessment and length of time. this is just our experience. others may have a different story or experience

Linzie

Oct 2, 2021
they contacted me within the week as he was choking. explain the problem. avoided the foods he was finding hard to swallow. monitored for 6 weeks to check if he had any other choking episodes and came round 2 months later to the house. not pureed but soft. she said if you can press it with a fork like mash and it mashes thats fine but if it stays the same, then its a risk food. making a food moist rather than dry eg. dry cake could be made moist by cream or custard so its not dry crumbs. no rescue pack but he has COPD which leaves a build up of mucus in the throat so they gave him a steroid nose spray to loosen the mucus as he couldnt cough it up either. this was what happened with my husband but could be different in different areas or have different ways of assessment and length of time. this is just our experience. others may have a different story or experience
So it took 2 months for SALTS to go to you for an assessment?
How have you found it after the SALTS visit is your husband eating better?
Did they feel the swallow or do they just watch and listen the swallow?

Livelifetothefull

Sep 22, 2019
My father has vascular dementia and few months ago had aspiration pneumonia, now the swallowing is more difficult and take a few seconds to complete the full swallow.

Complained to GP about swallowing issues in 3-4 months ago, no help from GP.

Seen private consultant who made diagnosis of aspiration pneumonia from the hosital xray he was able to access. He provided a letter, which I gave to the GP - only then the GP decided to make a referral to SALTS (otherwise they would not have done anything) - still waiting 4-5 weeks on!!

Consultant said father needs to be prioritised on the letter, constant having to ring the GP and finally they sent an urgent referall.

Asked for community dental service 4 months ago and nothing at all so far, really need dentist ASAP to sort of dental hygene which can play a part in aspiration pneumonia.

Can anyone put me in contact with a dentist that does home visits - I'm willing to pay, based in west yorkshire

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
Funnily enough I have just taken my mother from her care home to the dentist. It has cost £110 to hire a wheelchair carrier taxi for a half day and I was lucky to find a wheelchair accessible dental surgery. Home visits are hard to get from dentists, I suppose they need all their equipment available. This dentist was very good with my poor old mum, who had a broken tooth. I think if I had not been proactive in organising it it would not have happened. I do feel sorry for people in very old age who don't have an articulate person taking care of their interests.

Livelifetothefull

Sep 22, 2019
Funnily enough I have just taken my mother from her care home to the dentist. It has cost £110 to hire a wheelchair carrier taxi for a half day and I was lucky to find a wheelchair accessible dental surgery. Home visits are hard to get from dentists, I suppose they need all their equipment available. This dentist was very good with my poor old mum, who had a broken tooth. I think if I had not been proactive in organising it it would not have happened. I do feel sorry for people in very old age who don't have an articulate person taking care of their interests.
Hi there!
My mum had a dentist come to her care home earlier this year. He made her some new dentures.. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Linzie

Oct 2, 2021
Do they only deal with dentures or do they do dentistry like dental hygene fillings etc

Last edited by a moderator:

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
So it took 2 months for SALTS to go to you for an assessment?
How have you found it after the SALTS visit is your husband eating better?
Did they feel the swallow or do they just watch and listen the swallow?
yes they were assessing over the phone at first and monitoring him that way. yes he eats but he has never had a problem with his appetite. no they actually felt the swallow by putting a hand on throat and checking in the mouth to how efficient the swallow is.