Dementia & Parkinson's

Dijon

My partner who has Parkinson's and sight and hearing impairment was recently diagnosed with Parkinson's Dementia as well.
This past month his Dementia has got increasingly worse with him calling out Help me, Help me constantly, starting in the evening and going on through the night. He complains about not being able to breathe and that he's dying but the doctors have found nothing that could cause it. As he gets very anxious it's been suggested that he could be overbreathing although I have read that some Parkinson's patients get breathless. I have put him on some waiting lists for care homes as I feel that I can't cope anymore with only a carer 2 or 3 times a week and an enablement team that help me put him to bed in the early evening, although he gets up again as soon as they have gone.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Dementia by itself is difficult enough @Dijon but Parkinson`s too must make life unbearably difficult for you.

I do hope you manage to find a good care home. Once your husband is settled in a decent home you will be able to visit without all the stresses of physical and emotional care.

I hope you will feel the benefit of the support Dementia Talking Point offers and it will be some comfort for you to feel less isolated.

jennifer1967

thats hard, do you think its worth talking to the gp and see if he can give something for anxiety? its probably too early for him to go to bed but its out of your control. do you get breaks. i hope you find a lovely home for him and you are able to relax and be his wife again without the worry and caring.

Dijon

Thank you for your kind words, it makes all the difference.
He has been prescribed some Diazepam and Sertraline but it doesn't seem to make much difference. The doctor did suggest a very small dose of liquid Morphine would help him with his breathing and enable him to relax.
I've had about six 2 hour breaks this last year so it will be nice to get my life back again although I know I will worry about him still.

jennifer1967

thats hard, do you think its worth talking to the gp and see if he can give something for anxiety? its probably too early for him to go to bed but its out of your control. do you get breaks. i hope you find a lovely home for him and you are able to relax and be his wife again without the worry and caring.
Thank you for your kind words, it makes all the difference.
He has been prescribed some Diazepam and Sertraline but it doesn't seem to make much difference. The doctor did suggest a very small dose of liquid Morphine would help him with his breathing and enable him to relax.
I've had about six 2 hour breaks this last year so it will be nice to get my life back again although I know I will worry about him still.
might be an idea to try low dose morphine. course you will worry but you wont be frazzled carer trying to cope almost on your own.