Driving ban appeal

HanM

Aug 7, 2022
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone had any advice or experience with DVLA removing licenses. My mother filled out the form for my father with regards to driving as per requirement every year, and it has come back that he is no longer allowed to drive. This has come as a complete shock to us and to him and he is quite frankly completely defeated by it. I understand at some point this might happen but it seems a little premature for my father at this stage. I think it’s going to make him worse a lot more quickly (he was formally diagnosed last Feb). Has anyone had any success with appealing and managed to keep their licenses? And How long the process took?
Many thanks in advance

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @HanM I don't have direct experience of this but other members may have. I am not sure whether this link will help:

streac

Jun 13, 2024
Hi @HanM. The same has recently happened to my dad. I'd like to know the answer to the same questions. The decision from DVLA has come as a complete shock as his driving assessment was fine and his GP confirmed he was ok to still drive.

Nicola1234

Jun 13, 2024
My dad has been sent for a driving assessment, he's been told he cannot drive until this has been done. I have held off cancelling his licence until the assessment. maybe see if this is an option.

WJG

Sep 13, 2020
I appealed against having my licence taken away, and eventually got it back. I can’t pretend it was an easy process. For a start, in Scotland the window in which one can appeal is shorter. No one seemed to know the process, but I had help from a legally trained friend to lodge my appeal with the Sheriff's Court.
My argument was that I felt it was unjust for my licence to be taken away on the say so of one Doctor, and with no assessment. I was happy to have my driving assessed and to go along with a decision after that. Having had years of safe driving, I felt the loss of freedom keenly.
The DVLA were rather less than helpful, and didn’t appear at the first hearing. They did eventually and reluctantly agree to me taking an assessment test - but only after further cognitive and simulator tests.
Eventually, 14 months later, I was granted a medical licence, renewable annually.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MollyW