Dementia: palliative care and end of life

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
I’ve had a few recent encounters as well as reading on TP some concerning accounts where things have not been considered appropriately or explained properly or where there has been confusion or misunderstanding over what palliative care is and what end of life is. This last week I had a scenario at work which I won’t divulge too much, only to find palliative care had been withdrawn on an old lady who’s only other carer was her daughter in her own home. I was stunned at the story she told me, and clearly, she was suffering from carer burnout and very stressed. But this is not the first time, and it seems to me to be now commonplace where even healthcare professionals can’t see the wood for the trees, and I just wonder if it is through a significant lack of resources including funding or just blatant ignorance on the part of care providers.

Anyway, to assist anyone out there who is trying to make sense of what this all means in relation to dementia care, well it’s the same as for any other life limiting disease, the most common one people think of is cancer. The best way of thinking about palliative care and end of life is to think of a continuum with palliative care at one end and merging into end of life at the other end and in between is a period that could be years, months, weeks, or days. No one knows when end of life will be, even in those who are showing signs that end of life may be imminent there is a possibility that this stage could endure for some time. There is no definitive line to draw between palliative care and end of life care, however palliation can mean living well with a disease or dying well with a disease -at some point palliative care crosses over into end-of-life palliation.

Rather than re-write definitions here are two good definitions of palliative care and end-of-life palliation: Palliative care is an approach to care that addresses the person, not just their disease. The goal is to prevent or treat, as early as possible, the symptoms and side effects of the disease and its treatment, in addition to any related psychological, social, and spiritual problems (Source: cancer.gov). Someone can live for years while having palliative care. End of life care offers treatment and support for people who are near the end of their life. It usually starts to be offered to those who are thought to be in the last year of their life or can be accelerated if a person deteriorates in a shorter period.

Palliative care in dementia poses some problems as most people with advancing dementia cannot communicate their needs including if they are unwell unlike before or just at their end. I found Palliative Care Guidelines in Dementia 2nd Edition to be good in dealing with the difficulties in dementia palliative care and strongly recommend people read it, click on the link below:

palliative-care-guidelines-in-dementia.pdf (england.nhs.uk)

Support for carers of people with dementia remains quite poor and often seems to be a neglected area of care provision. Don’t just accept what you are first told even though you may feel shocked by the news -ask about what it all means and the best way forward for your loved one. The person with advanced dementia themselves also often is cared for by assumptive means rather than by objective palliation. When my mum took ill nearly 3 years ago, she did present as end of life and returned to the care home with an anticipatory pack of medications. Since then, she has rallied and has slowly deteriorated since with another few near misses. She is now advanced Alzheimer’s and edging ever closer to her own end of life. I ensured that mum is on a palliative dementia care pathway after conversations with her GP, the hospital, and the care home. Don’t be afraid of getting social services involved if care at home is becoming too much and consider applying for CHC funding to enable care support wherever that might be and question the professionals if you don’t agree with their assessment/ judgement.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I too thank you for the clarity of your post.

I have always understood the difference but have never worked out how to get a person with dementia to understand that palliative care might be helpful. My husband is gradually edging towards his final months (??.) because of his chronic heart failure but he would never accept that idea, I think we would both benefit from palliative care. He has never wanted to accept the idea of dying which we all understand is quite illogical so it remains a no go area.

He uses his heart problems as an excuse for his difficulties in day to day living and maybe his resistance and inability to comprehend dying and death precludes the potential of palliation, what it might mean for him.

Whereas I would be asking all sorts of questions about my last whatever time I had left and what it would be like, from him nothing. Not a question about his diminishing future.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
I too thank you for the clarity of your post.

I have always understood the difference but have never worked out how to get a person with dementia to understand that palliative care might be helpful. My husband is gradually edging towards his final months (??.) because of his chronic heart failure but he would never accept that idea, I think we would both benefit from palliative care. He has never wanted to accept the idea of dying which we all understand is quite illogical so it remains a no go area.

He uses his heart problems as an excuse for his difficulties in day to day living and maybe his resistance and inability to comprehend dying and death precludes the potential of palliation, what it might mean for him.

Whereas I would be asking all sorts of questions about my last whatever time I had left and what it would be like, from him nothing. Not a question about his diminishing future.
I think some people are unable to accept the terms of their own mortality, but there is nothing wrong with that in itself, we all leave this world in our own way and the journey to that end is personal and unique. Just the fact that you have thought about it and had a conversation is a part of the palliative process and maybe palliation for some people is not facing their mortality but having their symptom's treated and to find relief especially with heart failure, the view that if they could just get past the breathlessness then all will be right again and they can carry on -denial if that is the right word to use is not always a bad thing.. Sometimes we just have to wait before we intervene so that we know it is the right time especially with dementia, its hard to balance the needs of ourselves and others when we want to take one course of action while our PWD decides on another.

I remember taking mum to see her GP about her legs and the GP asked her about whether if her heart stopped would she want someone to try and restart it -she of course said yes, I want to get to 80 and hopefully beyond. Of course this was in the early days when I took the role of carer, which was more supportive than actual care at the time. I agreed with mum when she asked me later at home -of course why not try to go on. But over the ensuing 4 years my view changed as mum changed. Her own sense of being also changed once she hit 80, and as we all know people with dementia in the early stages know things are not as they were especially with Alzheimer's disease. As she became more advanced in the EMI unit she got admitted to hospital after being unresponsive and at that point the opinion was that she was end of life. The cause to cut a long explanation short is that her heart had slowed right down and almost stopped. There was a discussion around inserting a pacemaker at the time and thinning her blood, but mum could no longer comprehend what this all meant for her. The risk of bleeding as she was prone to falls was high and the prolongation of life with a burdensome disease that would eventually end her life. The view to my relief was not to insert a pacemaker or to thin her blood. My point is that I had to wait until we had reached a crossroads before I could say that palliation rather than curative treatment would be best. These decisions are not always ones we can make instantly, often some time passes before we get to the point of having to really think through the best road to take.

Last edited:

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
There are some really good books around about coming to the end of your life well and I leave them lying around in full view hoping that my husband might pick one up. That hasn’t happened so far but I have found them thought provoking and helpful.

My husband has had blood thinners for over twenty years and a defibrillator for almost ten years. His kidney function is slowly decreasing and any he struggles with any exertion.

I think the best time to begin palliative care is early so that all the people involved have the opportunity to develop trust and confidence in the process.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Dad had palliative care for almost two years. He had cancer but was too frail for surgery or chemo but he had everything else that was available. He had a stent so he could eat , he had blood transfusions, iron infusions and antibiotics when needed. In fact he had very good care throughout. He was considered for palliative radiotherapy but unfortunately he deteriorated quickly at the end and it was decided that he was far too frail for this. I was happy with his treatment and never felt that he had been passed by. He seemed happy with everything too although I doubt he understood most of it

I on the other hand was a complete mess with a brave face.