Dementia - life before and after it became such a huge part of my life

Kitty246

Sep 12, 2015
Maidstone, kent
Life before dementia

My husband was diagnosed 2012 and was not to bad then.
Now he doesn't know my name or much else. It takes a while for him to understand what I want him to do. Yes perhaps I would like to be somewhere else now.
This is not how I envisaged retirement.

elvismad

Jan 8, 2012
my mum was diagnosed in July 2011. Since then my life has gradually become smaller until there really is just mum, work and sleep. My poor OH gets no attention and I have no social life. We married late - I was 39 and had no intention of having children as we wanted to enjoy travel and just being ourselves. That ship has long since sailed. This is no what I envisaged and I feel awful for wishing it didn't all fall on me. My real realisation that it was taking over mum was when she started to struggle with her make up and began to forget to change her clothes. Now she does not remember the holidays we go on. So sad..........

Janey29

Oct 15, 2015
Life before and after

I've just been reading these posts and many of these comments resonate so much today in terms of what life was like before and after.

The Paralympics in 2012 sticks in my mind as we took my much-loved parents and it was a wonderful and exciting family day out. A year later things started to change and fast forward to 2016, we have recently lost my lovely Mum to Lewy Bodies in her early 70s and my father who has just turned 70 is now a shell of his former self after being diagnosed with vascular dementia in his late 60s.

While I feel very grateful for the time I've had with my parents in these last few years and the many precious moments we've had during incredibly difficult times, I still cannot believe quite how much dementia has decimated our family - and so quickly.

Dementia brings with it so many different emotions - loss, anger, love, guilt, despair, loneliness and makes you question what life is all about and whether it can ever feel normal again.

I guess you have to take small steps at a time, deal with one thing at a time and hold on. I now find that the most simple and gentle things help find a new sense of calm like nature around you, the sunshine, a chat with a friend or reading a good book.

It helps to know you're not the only one out there who has experienced this but at the same time, I really do feel for anyone else who has been or is going through this.

Life can feel like it has fundamentally changed but I think we do start to slowly adjust to whatever that new 'normal' is, that we are so much stronger at dealing with this than we give ourselves credit for at times, that we can start to remember the happier memories again and our families do start to find a way to cope with this.

Last edited: