Dementia focussed university project feedback

Oliversamuel

May 5, 2016
Hi Everyone!

I am a final year design student at Loughborough University currently undertaking my final year project.

At the start of the year whilst researching for possible ideas that I could explore for my project I began researching ways to help people suffering from dementia maintain a healthy sleep cycle. This led to bright light therapy and the beneficial effect it can have helping sundowning and maintaining a heathy circadian rhythm.

During the research I also learned the term 'burnout' and read abut the physical toll caring takes on the caregiver. After reading about it I knew I wanted to design a product that could be beneficial for both the carer and cared-for.

After reading numerous scientific articles about bright light therapy and aromatherapy and the positive effects they can have, I was surprised to find no published research about the combined use of both treatments. This gave me the idea for my project.

A device that combines controlled doses of bright light with aroma, using two senses to maintain a healthy sleep cycle.

The bright lights and aroma would helped the cared for and the aroma would hopefully create calmer atmosphere for the carer.

The device uses two sets of lights one set of 6000k light (cool white) and one set of 3000K (warm white) representing morning and evening. Inside the device is a two part aroma diffuser, this is so different aromas could be smelled at different times of the day for example. In the morning a grapefruit essential oil could be set which is known to increase alertness and mental activity and in the evening lavender could be set to relax and promote sleep.

The device can be programmed to come on at different times of the day using an app for an iphone or ipad such as coming on early in the morning increasing the brightness to mimic the sun rising and vice versa for the sun setting.

Many of the articles about studying the effects of bright light research used much higher levels of light than those that are available to purchase. I noticed that the commercial models emitting 10,000 lux (the intensity of light required) at distances of around 20-30cm which I thought could be improved.

At double the distance the intensity of light is quartered which effectively makes them very bright lamps.

They all looked quite clinical and not something you would really want in you house, I wanted to design something that you would want for its form and function and not just for its function.

I wanted to increase this distance so something more practical, so I made my device 2x more powerful than those currently available using 16 15W LED bulbs giving a power output of 240W versus 160W of the most powerful product currently available.

As there is a demand for more research to be carried out into these alternative therapies I added 4 infra-red sensors to the product to detect sleep disturbances. These instances are recorded and presented as a graph in the app. These can be turned off if you didn't want to have this data recorded. The aim of gathering this information would be to present what levels of brightness works best, when are the lights being used, for what duration and are they being used in conjunction with a particular oil. Gathering this information from many of these devices could develop these forms of treatment and would build a picture if these forms of treatment are more effective together rather than by themselves.

I would really appreciate any feedback you have on my project love it or hate it all comments are welcome. Everything you say would really help me out.

I do not have enough points to post a picture of the product will I will as soon as I have enough points.

Thanks for reading!

Oliver

Attachments

• IMG_9400.jpg
    IMG_9400.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 846

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I have no clue whether your lightbulb moment is a brilliant idea or not because I don't understand all the science behind it but designing something and implementing it so a person with dementia can use it are two different things. Not everyone has an iPad or iPhone or knows how to use it. You basically expect the carer to live in the same house and be able to operate this, without the PWD trying to switch that strange bright smelly light off? Have you thought about this? In my experience, for any gadget to be truly useful, it has to be as simple as possible.

Last edited:

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Hi Oliver

Welcome to TP. I am interested in your post but can't take it all in right now. I have had symptoms for 7 years now and have noticed that I am considerably better in the summer months than in winter and am considering purchasing some sort of bright light lamp. Yours looks quite a work of art:) and is beautiful to look at. I would agree with Beate's comment that simplicity is the key- I live alone and would struggle to work with an app unless everything was set up for me.

I hope it does help with sundowning , as anything that does would be welcome to sufferers and carers alike.

Wish you well with your project and hope you get some more feedback, hard pressed carers don't always have the time to consider thee things.

Best wishes
Sue:)

Otiruz

Nov 28, 2015
Kent
Hello Oliversamuel,

I have had to read your post a couple of times to really get the gist of your device. LED's, watts and lux have very little meaning (my fault, not yours). However, I understand the principle of your design and think it could be highly beneficial.

It is very difficult to comment on a prototype device without being able to actually test it in a tangible form. From the visual aspect I think it is generally pleasing although it's difficult to gauge the size - perhaps you could re post with something identifiable next to it. Have you thought about approaching care homes in your area to provide you with more conclusive evidence of its' efficacy?

Wishing you success with this and your studies. Keep us updated of your progress and if this product becomes a 'must have' for PWD and their carer's we will be climbing over each other to buy it!!!

Otiruz

Nov 28, 2015
Kent
Hello Oliversamuel,

I have had to read your post a couple of times to really get the gist of your device. LED's, watts and lux have very little meaning (my fault, not yours). However, I understand the principle of your design and think it could be highly beneficial.

It is very difficult to comment on a prototype device without being able to actually test it in a tangible form. From the visual aspect I think it is generally pleasing although it's difficult to gauge the size - perhaps you could re post with something identifiable next to it. Have you thought about approaching care homes in your area to provide you with more conclusive evidence of its' efficacy?

Wishing you success with this and your studies. Keep us updated of your progress and if this product becomes a 'must have' for PWD and their carer's we will be climbing over each other to buy it!!!

Now I feel really silly - having looked at the photo again and seen the plant next to it.....
ho hum!!!

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Hi Oliver,

I really love your concept and feel it would be really beneficial to both carers and the cared for.

I am a carer for my husband and it is definitely something that I would look into as it would suit our particular circumstances (carer and PWD under same roof more or less 24/7).

However, I do agree with comments already raised -namely that thought should be given to making the device as simple as possible to operate so that it is usable by people facing different circumstances.

I'd also like to thank you for the time, thought and research that you have put into this project so far - it means a lot to know that such work is being carried out.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I'm another to whom the technical terms don't mean much, and I don't have an iPhone or iPad or use Apps (except for Talking Point!) - by choice, not because I couldn't. But I love the idea of your lamp, and certainly think it's an idea in the right direction. And it's beautiful!

99purdy

Oct 31, 2014
Hi Oliver, loved the idea and think it could be very beneficial to dementia patients. Sundowning can be very problematic. I think the look is fantastic and would not be intrusive at all. As the other posters have commented, I am not technically minded but think I could manage using iPad/iPhone app etc. The idea of aromatherapy and light therapy together, would I think, be a winning formula. I loved the idea of recording sleep disturbances as it could help you to understand why your loved one is suddenly having a bad day. The sun raising/setting would be a benefit. I am a great believer in light therapy. I wish you every luck with your product. X

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Would it be possible to extend this to those suffering sleep disturbances generally, not just those with dementia? I speak as one who has just done a long haul holiday (NZ) and, 7 days on, is still having problems with sleep cycles.

Anything that can help with sun downing would be useful, though, as said above, would be limited to those in early stages, those with live in Carers, or those in a care home.

Good luck!

Oliversamuel

May 5, 2016
Hi all,

Thanks for all the comments, the feedback has been really helpful.

One thing I forgot to add was that the light is tuned on and off by a floor switch that can be easily stood on. This would just turn it on and off light a regular lamp, Making it as simple as possible was a big focus for me, but I struggled to think of a way to facilitate all of its modes without putting lots of buttons on the product which in my opinion would have made it seem more complicated. I thought about having 5 floor switches of different colour with words to control each of the light modes and aroma modes, but I thought this may have been confusing.

I know alot of people do not have iphones or ipads but having the app meant that the product could be controlled even if they were not with the person they are caring for. Having the app also facilitates being able to view sleep disturbances and allowing to see on a larger picture what combination of aroma/light works best.

Yes the product can be used by anyone I hope it can help those with anxiety, depression, SAD and anyone wanting to regulate their sleep cycle!

I made another colour for the shade to show that the product can be personalised, this is aimed more at those with depression as the light spectrum will be affected by the shade and I am yet to test how much it does affect the light spectrum observed.

I will attach some photos of the app to show you what it is. I really tried to make it as simple as possible following the design theme of iphone to make it as intuitive as I can.

Thankyou

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-06 at 08.49.12.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-06 at 08.49.12.png
    208.1 KB · Views: 750
  • Screen Shot 2016-05-06 at 08.49.20.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-06 at 08.49.20.png
    92.2 KB · Views: 711
  • Screen Shot 2016-05-06 at 08.44.29.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-06 at 08.44.29.png
    66.2 KB · Views: 718
  • Screen Shot 2016-05-06 at 08.44.40.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-06 at 08.44.40.png
    74.6 KB · Views: 715
  • Screen Shot 2016-05-06 at 08.45.24.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-06 at 08.45.24.png
    177 KB · Views: 730

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
It sounds absolutely brilliant. Although I'm no longer a caregiver, in the Wintertime, I almost go into hibernation mode, and find it really difficult to wake up and get moving. Sounds like this would be ideal for that too?

Eventually, do you have any idea of what kind of cost buyers are looking at for the lamp?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im really impressed by this.
Im not sure about the floor switch though - could it be accidentally trodden on?
I wonder whether a wall control panel - a bit like the sort for central heating - would be better - it would also help if there were a "dementia proof" cover which could be used to stop someone in the later stages of dementia fiddling with it!

Oliversamuel

May 5, 2016
Thanks!

I'm not sure about the cost, so far to build the prototype I have spent nearly £600 but on a much larger scale it would be much less.

I considered a wall panel, and on my prototype I use a dimmable wall switch to control the lights, but with a wall panel the product would be constrained to that room. What about a portable panel, that was simple and would be 'dementia proof'? This would then be the primary control and the app would be a secondary control that would also allow you to view sleep disturbances.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I considered a wall panel, and on my prototype I use a dimmable wall switch to control the lights, but with a wall panel the product would be constrained to that room. What about a portable panel, that was simple and would be 'dementia proof'? This would then be the primary control and the app would be a secondary control that would also allow you to view sleep disturbances.

Ooh, I like the sound of that - belt and braces option.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Would a panel like the attached be workable? This is a control panel for one of my radiant heat panels. Once the little cover is closed, the panel can't really be tampered with.

Attachments

• 1462543548163.jpg
    1462543548163.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 566
  • 1462543561483.jpg
    1462543561483.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 611

Oliversamuel

May 5, 2016
Yeah something like that would be possible, The panel would have to be portable and then attached to the wall permanently, as that thermostat would be connected to the mains electricity of the house (I think)

I could use these to fix it to the wall?

The panel could then be placed next to the thermostat on the wall and the device could be moved around the house to suit where it is needed.

Attachments

• b64ca83d-a08b-4614-be7c-0fb206feefd6.jpg
    b64ca83d-a08b-4614-be7c-0fb206feefd6.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 575

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
No, these are battery powered. Batteries last about 18 months I think. The back of the panel is screwed to the wall.

Attachments

• 1462548583028.jpg
    1462548583028.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 603

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Your lamp is really interesting Oliver. I personally like the idea of foot operated switches in different colours. In my bad phases I lose a lot of dexterity and vision and rely a lot on colour and touch. Since experiencing symptoms have changed some of my lights to touch lamps which is an immense boon and also a foot operated standard lamp which really helps too.

Those Command strips are very good.

Please keep this thread updated especially when it goes into production:)

Best wishes
Sue