Dementia Care During Covid - is everything shutdown?

Autumn934

Oct 8, 2020
Hi everyone,

So I live in Australia, and my parents live in the UK. My dad has early stages of Alzheimer’s and my mum is feeling a little overwhelmed with things and isn’t really engaging with possible care routes. They have had a social worker come round to assess their needs a few weeks ago, but apparently she is “still researching options as everything is shut down due to Covid”. It is so hard for me to understand, through googling, what services are immediately available to my dad. Is there a one stop shop that I can contact to get all of the services that are still available ? I just can’t believe that everything is shut down. I’m looking for some clubs, regular groups, interest groups etc that could improve dads quality of life in a responsible at, whilst giving mum a bit of a break? Could someone point me in the direction of a central resource for dementia care during covid. Mum and dad live in south Hampshire- would there be a local organisation as well? Anything would be better than what’s happening at the moment, which is nothing. It’s been a year since dads diagnosis and nothing has happened. I’m finding it so frustrating and I feel powerless. Thanks so much for any help or advice!

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hello @Batty Jo
a warm welcome to DTP

unfortunately, many of the services you mention have been mothballed, though some may be available depending on location
this may be of use in finding services local to your parents

if your dad has savings and a good income, he would be considered a self-funder and so they could arrange any support they need eg home care visits .... do an internet search for local companies, and this site may be useful

Whisperer

Mar 27, 2017
Southern England
Dear @Batty Jo

I understand your frustration but in reality Britain is a bit of a post code lottery as regards Dementia friendly services even before Covid19 arrived. I use to attend a local care group on my own, but it last met in February. Day care centres are I believe mostly shut in the area where I reside with mum who has Dementia. Her condition is developing but still in the “relatively early stages”. I live with her and we chug along with no outside help. Like many Dementia sufferers mum thinks there is nothing wrong with her. Covid19 enforced isolation (mum has underlying health conditions) has postponed my getting us involved with day care centres, Dementia cafes, etc, even if they were open.

That said perhaps there are some services available such as the club types you mention. Initially I would suggest the following.
1) Contact any Alzheimer’s Society office near to where your parents live for guidance.
2) Also contact the local authority relevant to your parents. Ask to speak to social services or do they have an adviser for elderly citizens matters.
3) Not sure how helpful they might be but you could also try the Citizens Advice office nearest to your parents location.

Google search should bring up the above details. They should have email contact addresses for you to use, being mindful of your location.

Just remember Britain does not do Dementia very well when you are dealing with official channels. Voluntary and charity groups should be a good place for helpful advice. Reading threads on here will rapidly show this was true before Covid19 arrived. Hope others come along soon with further ideas. Best wishes.

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
The Ageuk day centre that my mum used to go to has reopened with restricted numbers and they are also doing a few other activities so they may also have things in your parents area. They have different things in different areas, as said before it is a bit of a postcode lottery what is available and how things are done in each area. When my mum was diagnosed she was given a few leaflets of local charities so maybe your parents were given something with diagnosis letter. It is mainly that you have to find things yourself rather than there being a specific one stop shop that points you to all relevant services etc. That is something that I've often wished existed. X

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Have you claimed Attendance allowance?
The money could pay for a cleaner or gardener to make life easier.

Have you set up POA ( power of attorney) for them both?

Autumn934

Oct 8, 2020
Thank you so much for these replies- it means so much to me. I’m going to follow up on all these resources.

Autumn934

Oct 8, 2020
This is a great idea- my mum has applied for this, but I’ll check where she’s at with it all.

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
As others have said, it is very much a postcode lottery here, and Covid stopped every activity that Mum did in March.
That said, there is nothing to stop you getting on waiting lists / expressing an interest ,for when things do start up.
Personally, I found trawling the internet to be the most use. Certainly, in our area, the big charities don't offer much. One thing to say is that not everything needs to be dementia specific, a lot of "old age" groups can cope with people in the early stages. There are lots of community and church groups running all sorts of activities, lunch clubs etc., some where your dad could be left to give mum a break, others where she (or someone) would need to stay with him. They will have to pay for everything, and costs vary massively. Their local council should have a list of clubs for the elderly, and then do a general search for dementia / elderly activities in their local area. Some care homes offer day care, and there are still a few day centres left.
Think outside the box - my Mum went to a Gentle Exercise Class for over 55's (she's was 83), where 3 people had memory problems, one of the local churches did Friday lunchtime live classical concerts (Covid came before we could try those), there is a group called Men in Sheds .
My tip - assuming things do eventually start up again - is to get your dad to try as many things as possible, as not everything will suit him. Get him going to as many things as you can, as he will likely become more resistant as the disease progresses. Your mum will benefit too, even if she has to attend things with him, as she will meet other people in her situation and make new friends. One of the worst things with dementia is that your social life and circle can shrink very rapidly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trey0407