Dementia and Delirium Paradox

KVA123

Jul 13, 2024
Hi. The person I care for has severe short term memory loss (maybe 30 seconds or less). She frequently gets delirium (usually assumed to be caused by an infection). What I find fascinating is that when she’s heading towards delirium, she has increased memory and increased self-awareness. She will announce things like “My arms are very very skinny” (she never comments on her appearance normally) and she takes an interest in me (eg. Last time she asked me if i still go to church) - normally she doesn’t remember who I am never mind the fact that I used to go to church!
Is this a known phenomenon? Have others noticed this? Reading David Baddiel’s book about his family and he mentions that his dad had dementia and also had increased self awareness at the start of a UTI.
Has anyone done any research on this? Why does it happen? Anywhere I can read about it! It fascinates me.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Well all I can say is you've come to the right place, sit down and have a read around on here. That and hello and welcome from me. K

My Mum's Daughter

Feb 8, 2020
@KVA123 when Mum is delirious, she talks in full sentences instead of her usual garbled few words. I've no idea why but I've seen this happen plenty of times.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I only saw my husband having delirium once and it was really frightening. He had a chest infection and that is what led to the delirium. He also had many UTIs over the course of the years he lived with dementia. I have to say I was never aware of any increased self awareness around the UTIs or the delirium. It’s coming up for 8 years since he died so I’ve maybe erased it from my memory of course.

I wondered if this would be of any interest -

Collywobbles

Feb 27, 2018
My Mum seemed to develop multiple new personalities when in the grip of hospital delirium. It certainly seemed to activate parts of her brain which dementia had previously affected.

KVA123

Jul 13, 2024
I only saw my husband having delirium once and it was really frightening. He had a chest infection and that is what led to the delirium. He also had many UTIs over the course of the years he lived with dementia. I have to say I was never aware of any increased self awareness around the UTIs or the delirium. It’s coming up for 8 years since he died so I’ve maybe erased it from my memory of course.

I wondered if this would be of any interest -
Thanks Izzy - I'd read the article but it doesn't seem to address the apparent recovery from dementia that happens for a short time at the onset (or just before the onset) of delirium.

KVA123

Jul 13, 2024
@KVA123 when Mum is delirious, she talks in full sentences instead of her usual garbled few words. I've no idea why but I've seen this happen plenty of times.
Thanks. It's really interesting, isn't it? I do wonder if there's research going on to find a way to replicate this to kind of "reverse" the dementia in some way.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Thanks. It's really interesting, isn't it? I do wonder if there's research going on to find a way to replicate this to kind of "reverse" the dementia in some way.
Im not aware of any research on this, but it reminds me of an actual, recognised phenomenon called "terminal lucidity". It doesnt happen to everyone, but often enough to make it a recognised "thing". This happens just before someone with dementia dies when they suddenly get a short period of lucid thought. By this stage they have very advanced dementia and everything is closing down, but before their brain finally goes, there is a spark and they are able to speak, or recognise someone, or understand their situation in a way they they havent for a while. I dont know, but it makes me wonder if there is a similar process with an infection causing delirium

KVA123

Jul 13, 2024
Im not aware of any research on this, but it reminds me of an actual, recognised phenomenon called "terminal lucidity". It doesnt happen to everyone, but often enough to make it a recognised "thing". This happens just before someone with dementia dies when they suddenly get a short period of lucid thought. By this stage they have very advanced dementia and everything is closing down, but before their brain finally goes, there is a spark and they are able to speak, or recognise someone, or understand their situation in a way they they havent for a while. I dont know, but it makes me wonder if there is a similar process with an infection causing delirium
Thanks - I'd heard about that. So interesting!

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I had delirium but in my case it turned out to be tick borne viral encephalitis, not something you want to get, take it from me. K

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaniaAm