"Demands for government action on dementia research grow"

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Interesting economics :rolleyes:...... perhaps the government are not in the 'speculate to accumulate' game?

I still feel almost euphoric about the 'Strategy' - but I can see this longer-term view too ......

The views of AS and ART are not as closely aligned as I might have expected .... then again - perhaps their aims have a subtle difference and priority in terms of 'here and now' or future 'investment'?

Karen

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Having read the report today that the Alzheimer,s Research Trust is upset about the National Dementia Strategy, I started to wonder whether I was looking at this the wrong way.

There were many people involved with this peice of work spread over a long period of time. They also came from all walks of life from professionals, Care Home owners, Consultants, GPs along with the important ones "people with dementia and their carers".

We spent many hours debating all aspects of dementia, in the end we thought that we had covered everything and come up with a target that was achievable.

However I do think that we were all certain that if we asked for too much, the whole project could have stalled and would have been cut down in size, and we may well have ended up with all the wrong things.

I do feel that the end product was worth waiting for, and we did not lose a lot on the way, however I do realise that extra money for research would have been very nice. But in the present climate we were lucky that the whole Strategy was not put on hold until the next budget.

We have to be very practical and realise that we have now taken the first big step, in reforming the way people are going to be diagnosed and looked after in the future, and with a bit of luck this may well be tweaked on the way to make it even better.

Our Chief Executive Neil Hunt, spent along time working with the Department of Health, looking at ways of making this work and I do feel that he should be given a lot of credit in making sure that everything we did was achievable.

We are not going to please everyone and never will, but at least those of us that worked on it are very pleased that the document has been launched and looks good. We still have a long way to go in ensuring that it works and works well where ever it is needed and used.

Best Wishes

Ken

Last edited:

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Hello, Ken

I too was pleased with the National Dementia Strategy - and said aloud "about bloody time too", or words to that effect.

If the 'important people' are happy with it, then so should we all be. And if the target is achievable, then that can only be good news too.

As you say, you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Positive hope for the future is the way I read it all.

I thank you, Ken, for having been involved.

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
We spent many hours debating all aspects of dementia, in the end we thought that we had covered everything and come up with a target that was achievable.

Dear Ken ... I recall that momentous moment in 1969 when I watched the 'giant step for mankind' .... I don't recall anyone saying 'Well, it was only the moon, why didn't you go for Mars?':rolleyes:

It has left me saddened that anyone should see fit to 'knock' an incredible achievement instead of celebrating a huge leap forward .....

'Rome wasn't built ...' and all that - but those of us keen to keep pursuing improvements, awareness (and yes, ideally research so that future generations can talk about cure and even prevention not simply how to alleviate symptoms or how to fund care) have been given a solid foundation to work on thanks to the efforts of people like yourself, Neil Hunt and goodness knows how many other dedicated people who have worked so hard to get this far,

Love, Karen, x