Delirium

Miss T

Jan 16, 2012
What a rollercoaster this experience has become. Admitted Tuesday last week. By Friday could no longer feed herself and in fact rejecting food completely Saturday saw a further demise, treatment for a UTI but severe vascular dementia suspected. Sunday no change. Monday feeding herself, quoting poetry and diagnosis Delirium (unknown cause) with dementia. Possible rehab?!
So what do we do now? What should be doing to ensure best help for 87 year old father in law. Does delirium go and can we help it on its way. Every story is different but hearing other experiences will help.

Toddleo

Oct 7, 2015
Our first realisation that mum had Alzheimers at all was following an episode of delirium. Not to scare you of course, as we are all different, but mum went down hill quickly after the delirium episode. She was then prescribed anti psychotic meds and all the issues surrounding that (see previous resperidone posts) I do know of people however, that whilst the delirium itself was, obviously stressful and worrying, they did perk up significantly after treatment and were back to their "normal"

Meppershall

Aug 16, 2016
Bedfordshire
What a rollercoaster this experience has become. Admitted Tuesday last week. By Friday could no longer feed herself and in fact rejecting food completely Saturday saw a further demise, treatment for a UTI but severe vascular dementia suspected. Sunday no change. Monday feeding herself, quoting poetry and diagnosis Delirium (unknown cause) with dementia. Possible rehab?!
So what do we do now? What should be doing to ensure best help for 87 year old father in law. Does delirium go and can we help it on its way. Every story is different but hearing other experiences will help.

Hi Miss T x My dad's delirium can come and go depending on whether or not he has had a bad night, he suffers from very disturbing nightmares and hallucinations, or whether he has an infection. Sadly it is something that I am getting used to, but as this disease is so unpredictable and very individual this stage might pass, or it may stay with him forever. I try to be understanding, but it's not always easy :eek: Take care x

Miss T

Jan 16, 2012
I did feel wonder if this acute confusion might remain..brain scan shows only age related wear and tear but today she was worse than yesterday. Singing, memory lane, utter confusion. but she has no treatment. So delirium just identified but untreated?Should she have anti-psychotic meds? In fact she only has paracetamol. Put her back blood pressure tablets today too. Wondering if this is it . Wondering what happens next.h ow do we support my 87 year old father in law, run a house, a full time job, a family even walk the dog! I know...welcome to our world!

Miss T

Jan 16, 2012
So it's been 2 weeks. No UTI, no dementia, no idea what has caused it : increased confusion, not eating, not drinking, rambling to incoherent muttering. Given anti-psychotics and doctors say lasting damage. Long term hospitalisation. Gutted.

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
Unsurprisingly you sound absolutely exhausted.

How about "compartmentalising" the problems to make them more manageable?

You as family need to ensure the hospital doctors and nurses know enough of what your Mum was like before this crisis to help them assess her and what's probably happening to her. As an example, when my Mum was in hospital a few years ago the ward were quite pleased with her mobility - but they hadn't realised this was a woman who until then had been going for 3 mile walks and her present mobility was far below what was her "normal".

Apart from ensuring the hospital's properly briefed, you're asking the questions to which you want answers and your Mum is being supported by loving visits, your Mum doesn't "need" any more input from you. She's being looked after (hopefully expertly) by people trained to help her.

Your Father-In-Law does need more "input" from you - or from people obtained by you or himself to provide whatever care / support is necessary.

Are there practical problems which could be more easily dealt with by outside help or a mixture of outside and family help? Buying in prepared, frozen meals for a while might reduce the burden of cooking and shopping during this family emergency. Could the local community transport service run your FIL into the hospital to visit your Mum sometimes (the drivers are usually supportive volunteers who provide a listening ear as well as transport)?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grandaughtercare