Delirious and Obsessive Thoughts

Love&Hope

Jun 24, 2019
My dad is constantly talking about having to sue his boss and former colleagues for harassment and false accusations of robbery. He refers to them as if he had seen them yesterday, but my dad's 83 and hasn't worked with those people nor had any contact with them in over twenty years. Furthermore, the place he's referring to is in NY and we now live in France. What's really troubling is that all the people and places he mentions do or did exist. But the harassment is something neither my mom nor I had ever heard of before. He's had this recurring story in mind for several months now, and I've tried to appease him by telling him that I would take care of it. He's asked me to draft up a letter for him, and I keep telling him that I'm working on it. I just assumed he would forget that he had asked me, so I felt that I could just keep giving him the same reply.... but he has started telling me that I give him the same answer everyday, and that we need to move forward with his case. I don't know how to handle this situation. I can't keep telling him the same thing. How do I put a stop to it? Any advice would be much welcome.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
My dad is constantly talking about having to sue his boss and former colleagues for harassment and false accusations of robbery. He refers to them as if he had seen them yesterday, but my dad's 83 and hasn't worked with those people nor had any contact with them in over twenty years. Furthermore, the place he's referring to is in NY and we now live in France. What's really troubling is that all the people and places he mentions do or did exist. But the harassment is something neither my mom nor I had ever heard of before. He's had this recurring story in mind for several months now, and I've tried to appease him by telling him that I would take care of it. He's asked me to draft up a letter for him, and I keep telling him that I'm working on it. I just assumed he would forget that he had asked me, so I felt that I could just keep giving him the same reply.... but he has started telling me that I give him the same answer everyday, and that we need to move forward with his case. I don't know how to handle this situation. I can't keep telling him the same thing. How do I put a stop to it? Any advice would be much welcome.

My mother-in-law had an obsession over her ex neighbours and she was convinced that if she contacted them they would come down and somehow "rescue" her from her bad attorneys ie myself or my husband. As she perceived it of course. She had an address for these people so we let her write a letter to them . She had actually by this point begun to lose the capacity to write properly and certainly couldn't write out the address properly on the envelope. I made sure that I had the letter given to me by the carers and I simply didn't post it.
After a couple of weeks of course my mother-in-law would ask whether she was going to get a letter back from these people. I told her I had done a bit of Investigation and found out that the address she had was wrong and they had moved. She must have mentioned this to one of the carers who sadly had put the idea in her head that there was some sort of electronic device ie an email that would contact these neighbours. I promised therefore that I would find an email which of course I didn't have and told her that I had sent an email to the neighbours. I told her the email has bounced back and therefore was invalid . I mentioned all this of course in front of one of the carers who just of course nodded and reinforced the idea that this sort of thing happened with electronic stuff. As the carer had agreed with me that this was possible my mother-in-law quickly forgot all about it because she trusted the carers more than she did me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch