Delay in Registering Death

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Just tried to book an appointment to register mum’s death - but nothing available until next week….but it says if you don’t register in 5 days you could face a fine 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️ is a long delay now part of our broken system and just to be expected? I wanted to crack on with the administration during compassionate leave.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @sdmhred sorry to hear about the loss of your mum, my condolences to you and your sister. My mum passed away recently and I had to register the death late too, due to a delay in the GP filling out the relevant paperwork. Like you I was worried but the registrar was fine and said it happens quite often so nothing to worry about. I think the threat of a fine is aimed at those who deliberately delay registering a death rather than those cases where the registration is late for reasons outside of the notifiers control.

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello @sdmhred and I would just like to echo what @Louise7 has said. It took a while for me to be able to register my Mum's death too because of delayed paperwork form the GP. I think these delays can happen sometimes and the registrars are use to it.
I agree it's a bit frustrating when you want to get on with things while you are on compassionate leave. Thinking of you at this difficult time.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Thanks both - that’s really helpful to know. I shall book for next week. I was surprised as the last few times I have had appointments given within 48 hours.

im sorry you have also just lost your mum @Louise7

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
another question- it was covid last time I did this so all different ….do they issue the certificate at the appointment, or do they come later in the post? Thanks so much.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I had this issue, I booked an appt for day 5 but GP was on holiday so couldn't get paperwork sent by GP so I had to rebook appointment.

I did query the 5 day rule with the registrar and she said that it's very flexible. I had been worried about the fine, as in my job I'd have had to report it to my regulatory body, but it seems that due to GP delays etc the 5 day deadline is often missed.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
another question- it was covid last time I did this so all different ….do they issue the certificate at the appointment, or do they come later in the post? Thanks so much.
I got the certificate at the time, I was asked how many I wanted and took 5, paid for at the time.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I also got a code for the 'tell us once' service, which I activated the next day - it didn't work and I had to phone the registrar. For some reason they'd uploaded the wrong Date of Death to the system and I got another code.

This added a lot of stress at the time (middle of A levels as well).

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Yes I got the certificate at the time of registering the death. Think about how many you may want before you go , I suggest

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Thanks so much! So good to know I can post here and get reliable answers from friends 😀😀

With her bank accounts I am clearly in limbo land now. I still have online access - am I able to stop some of the non essential direct debits or I am guessing I should wait?

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
My understanding is that as soon as you contact the bank all direct debits will cease even without the death cert. I didn't contact banks until I had the death cert as only DDs were paying bills on her flat that I can't sell (another story) and so her estate owed the monies anyway.

I know you're not meant to but I did use mum's bank card to pay for the presents I bought for the home the day after she died - she died late at night. My brother and I were both LPAs and we both inherit - no will - and I agreed it with him. If I'd paid he would never have paid me back so it was easier. Not a lot of cost but a principle in terms of my brother sharing the cost.

I paid for the funeral myself and then took the invoice to the bank to get the money back.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
It took me ages to register mum's death because the hospital and GP took ages deciding that an inquest wasn't needed. The registrar asked why the delay but accepted my reason without any further questions.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Thanks. We’ve got the next appt possible in our area for next Wednesday! I won’t do anything with the banking until then…although I did contact necessary insurance companies today.

We’d kept some money aside for this interim period so there’s cash flow thankfully.