Dealing with sundowning and Power of Attorney

Burntamber

Aug 11, 2013
England and Scotland
My father who is probably in stage 6 of dementia has just been moved to a care home by my mother and I. I live in England but they are in Scotland so the laws are different. My purpose in joining this forum is mainly to provide practical advice, based on my own experience, but also to share some of his behaviours so others can relate to them and not feel they are alone, as my mother did until I researched the illness.

My father probably started sundowning in Sep 12. He became verbally very aggressive towards my mother, for example trying to have her ejected from their (joint) home as he believed her to be a scrounger of some kind who was living there against his will and not paying the bills. He threatened to call the Police and have her ejected for occupying his home.

They say there are elements of their 'waking life', as I call it, that come through with dementia - almost as though their true personality traits are grossly exaggerated. I can see this in my father. He was always worried that people were trying to take his money off him in some way - and the ultimate distress for my mother was to be accused of this - and worse, she feared he would physically throw her out of her own home. She is in her 80s and was scared. I was scared.

Some 4 months ago (Apr 12) he first left the home (wandering as they call it) to return to his mother's (who died 35 years ago). He spoke several time daily of his (dead) mother. He was convinced she owned my parents' marital home - that she paid the bills. Of course this was nonsense but he would not believe otherwise. He believed my mother was making him ill and that my mother was the one who was ill.

He progressed from threatening to leaving the home, to actually leaving the home. At first he didn't go far and we weren't so concerned but then he was found on the motorway and hitched a lift with a complete stranger to a town about 40 minutes away. The Police have been brilliant and retrieved him several times.

Sadly the disease progresses - things will not get better - so it is important to get Power of Attorney - both Financial AND Welfare in place now. It seems daunting if you don't know how, but you can do it yourself and if you want guidance on the Scottish process I can tell you what I did. It was a relief to have that already in place when the time came to activate it.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
First of all, welcome to TP.

It is good to have everyone joining who wishe to feed back information to help others.

Your words are in accord pretty much with my own experience.

Having been involved in arranging an EPA for my late wife, I was a little alarmed when I needed to help someone complete an LPA for financial affairs for their mother as the number of forms and detail required were astonishingly greater.

We have just completed and sent the forms to the Court of Protection and await a response, fingers crossed. Just the forms to apply to register the LPA numbered 14, and the notes for the entire thing need to be read carefully and checked a goodly few times.

This is worth it, in my opinion, and assuming our LPA is successfully registered. A relative insisted that a solicitor must do the process and their bill currently is an unbelievable £2,000, and the application to register is not yet made.

Information about successes in all things related to dementia care is helpful to a multitude.

Derek D

Feb 19, 2011
Farnham Surrey
Derek D

In England and Wales you can download the forms of a Lasting Power of Attorney and the registration application from the gov.uk website. If you keep your head it is quite possible to get it registered with the Office of the Public Guardian yourself without the need for incurring a solicitor's fee. But it still costs the £130 registration fee!

The LPA form requires a doctor to confirm that the patient understands what the LPA is all about. An AD sufferer may not be able to do so. If he or she can't, then it's too late.

So, if in doubt, ask the sufferer's GP first if he or she will be prepared to sign the form.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
In England and Wales you can download the forms of a Lasting Power of Attorney and the registration application from the gov.uk website. If you keep your head it is quite possible to get it registered with the Office of the Public Guardian yourself without the need for incurring a solicitor's fee. But it still costs the £130 registration fee!

The LPA form requires a doctor to confirm that the patient understands what the LPA is all about. An AD sufferer may not be able to do so. If he or she can't, then it's too late.

So, if in doubt, ask the sufferer's GP first if he or she will be prepared to sign the form.

Actually it doesn't have to be a doctor. There are various types of professional that can be certificate providers, but you can also use a lay person (e.g. friend or neighbour but not a family member) who has known the person at least two years to sign the certificate provider part.

Recent Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasAAA