Dealing with a younger sibling.

denisemcn

May 24, 2024
Hello, my name is Denise and I joined this forum because my youngest sister was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. My father had it and my mom had frontal lobe dementia. I try to stay on top of research, but a lot has changed. My older sister and I have been taking her to different doctors for testing. Right now she is on Exelon 1.5mg and she thinks it is keeping her awake at night. I have a call into the doctor because even though she has only been on it a week, she wants to stop cold turkey. Has anyone else done this and what will the side effects be?

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello Denise @denisemcn and welcome to the forum, there is a lot of friendly support here and people understand. So sorry to hear about your sister, and your parents too, it must be such a difficult situation for you so I hope that you are getting some support too? I don't have personal experience of Exelon (also known as Rivastigmine), and dementia medication can effect people differently in terms of side effects, but it's not usually a good idea to stop medication suddenly without first seeking medical advice. Some medication can take a little while to start working effectively, and other medication needs to be reduced gradually, so please speak to your sister's doctor first to make sure that you both receive the best advice regarding her medication management. Members with personal experience of this drug may be along to let you know about their experiences too.

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello Denise @denisemcn and just want to say welcome from me also to this friendly and supportive forum.
I am so sorry to read about your younger sister and your parents too. I, neither, have experience of the medication you mention, but I'm sure others that do will be along to say how they found it.
Please do have a good look around the various forums - there is a lot of shared experience to be found here.