Day care - and dieting!

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Nice idea Maureen, about the packed lunch, but I think canary is right!

I have a sneaky feeling she would eat that AND the lunch provided

Actually, I think more that she will get worked up if she see's that she isn't having the same as everyone else :(

I agree that the care plan should be followed, but although I raised the issue at her review, I've just assumed that the need to watch Mils diet has been included. I would hope it has, especially as I have raised the issue in person on at least 2 occasions since and via a couple of phone conversations, too.

To be fair to the staff, they all seem to be very caring, and I suspect that the pacifying with treats is done from the point of view of stopping her being upset, rather than just making life easier for them (though obviously, it has that benefit too). The thing is, they are not seeing the impact in the same way as I am - I doubt if any activity she does there is comparable to the effort it now takes her to get washed and dressed at home, which invariably leaves her breathless and upset. Nor are they seeing how she is struggling to do things like get a pair of pop socks on, because bending is difficult when its restricted by her tummy! Day care is all on the ground floor, so they don't see her struggling with the stairs, either.

I wasn't able to get through to our surgery yesterday - which happens occasionally - so I'll be trying again on Monday, as the more I think about it, the more I feel that something 'official' from a dietician or GP, like a food diary, may well be the best way to go. Part of the problem may well be that staff think that 'just one biscuit won't hurt', not realising that she has quite possibly already encountered 2 or 3 other staff who have done exactly the same - if it has to be recorded then surely seeing it in black and white will hopefully make them think twice!

Isabella41

Feb 20, 2012
Northern Ireland
My own mum was gaining weight at an alarming rate in her care home. She had put on over 2 stone in 2 years. She has COPD and poor mobility. I was very concerned that she would end up in the nursing unit in her home as her mobility is so restricted. The care home weigh all the residents each month. I asked them what action they took in cases like mum's where there is steady weight gain. I got an honest reply - they do nothing as they are more concerned with the frail residents who are loosing weight. I pointed out they had a duty of care to my mother to ensure her diet was appropriate and I politely pointed out that if they allowed her to continue to gain weight I would be taking the matter further. The message got through loud and clear and mum has since lost 1/2 stone. Sometimes a mild ' threat' (maybe a bit strong of a word) gets results.