Dad's journey-what to say?

jack29

Mar 8, 2008
Looking for some guidance please.

My Dad has settled in well at the care home he is at but does not accept that it is his home. He seems to think he is there until he "get's better". However he also keep talking about going on a journey that is going to take him 5 days, he is going by boat and he has to get all his stuff packed up. Now when he first started talking about it we went along with him but now he keeps taking all his pictures down and packing all his belongings up in sheets and newspapers. Also he never forgets about this trip...he talks about it every time I visit which is about 3 times a week.When I went yesterday he became quite aggresive and said I had not been to help him pack....I really don't know how to handle this situation. I keep saying things like the boat cant sail due to the bad weather etc but I am not sure if this is the right thing to do?

Any guidance please?

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
My mother packed all of her clothes every day for the first 3 months or so. Eventually, it stopped. At least he thinks he'll go home "when he's better", which is good.

I keep saying things like the boat cant sail due to the bad weather etc but I am not sure if this is the right thing to do?

I think this is a very good thing to do. We have to try to go into their worlds as much as we can. You might want to try saying something like "They are going to send you a letter when the boat is ready to go". If things get desperate, maybe a dummy letter? It sounds horrible, I know, but anything that will make your father feel calmer and more secure is good.

It will pass eventually. Good luck to you.