Dad's gone, thanks TP and goodbye

Carolynlott

Jan 1, 2007
Newcastle upon Tyne
My Dad died suddenly yesterday. He had been fine – inasmuch as anyone with severe dementia can be deemed fine. The home rang me at 2 pm to say something wasn’t right and by the time I got there 40 minutes later he had gone. Because it was so sudden it has been referred to the coroner – just procedure- but I can’t start doing much till that is sorted.

I feel so bad that I hadn’t been to visit since Christmas Eve. Dad wouldn't have known if I had been there but I wish I'd been able to hold his hand one more time. I always saw him on a Wednesday, so I would have gone today. Mum died 6 months ago and her twin 3 months ago so I am feeling a bit numb to say the least. I think this is affecting me more because it was so sudden – with Mum and her twin it was expected and I was able to sit with them almost to the end. I keep telling myself Dad wouldn’t want me to be sad, but it’s not helping much at the moment. I thought he would go on forever.

Just want to say thanks and goodbye to everyone on TP. I never was able to offer people much advice other than to share my own experiences. But you have all been great and it meant so much to feel there were friends out there who knew what I was going through and to be able to talk to you all.

Hope your journeys are as good as they can be.

C

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
So sorry, I'm sure you will be feeling numb, not only the sudden loss of your dad, but your mum, and your aunt too in a short space of time. You must be feeling bereft. Hugs to you.

ejkat

Dec 4, 2012
I am so sorry..

You still have much to get through. I wish you so much better days in times to come
after so much grief and sorrow and hard work.

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
sorry for your loss too...your Dad going suddenly must be a shock, but having a sudden death without protracted pain and suffering must be a positive to hold on to at this very sad time

hopeful56

Jun 17, 2009
Midlands
So sorry to hear this Carolyn. I have no doubt your experiences will continue to be of help to people in the future, so perhaps pop back in here now and again? I hope you can start to heal very soon.

JJ

jan1962

May 19, 2012
bedlington northumberland
So sorry to hear your sad news. you can be safe in the knowledge that he is at rest now no longer tormented by this disgusting illness. you have helped many though you may not feel that way at this time. please continue to pop in and your journey can continue to offer support to others, my thoughts and prayers are with you at this sad time. i know that this is a saying but you must remember the good times you had with your dad and not dwell on the bad, this does help as this is what i am doing as i lost my MIL on the 9th December.

jan1962

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
My sincere condolences to you at this difficult time. Your Dad is now at peace and free from this disease so I do hope that helps to comfort you a little.
TP is still here is you need it.
Best wishes

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
Hello Carolyn, I am sorry to read your sad news about your dad. My sincere condolences.

turbo

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Oh Carolyn I'm so sorry.To lose 3 loved ones in so short a time must be heartbreaking.

My thoughts are with you at this terrible time.

Love from Lyn T

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
A swift and peaceful end is what most of us would wish for our loved ones and ourselves. I hope when you recover from the initial shock, that will give you comfort.

Sincere condolences.

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
I am so sorry Carolyn. You must feel very shocked. I don't think we are ever prepared, and so this must have been an especial shock. I don't think you have anything at all to feel guilty or upset about in that it had been a nearly a week since you last saw your dad. I am sure, quite sure, he wouldn't want you to feel guilty or bad.

Wishing you peace and strength in the days and weeks ahead. We are always here if you need to talk xx

geum123

May 20, 2009
I am so sorry Carolyn.
I can't even begin to imagine the heartbreak you must be feeling suddenly loosing your Dad, while still grieving for the loss of your Mum and Aunt.
Sending sympathy and strength to you in the coming weeks.

Geum xxxx

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I am sorry for your dreadful losses, all so soon after one another. I hope that you may now find peace and comfort in your memories of a time before dementia.X

rjm

Jun 19, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I am sorry to hear of your dad's sudden passing. You have had so many losses it a short time. May you find peace and comfort in this new year.

Carolynlott

Jan 1, 2007
Newcastle upon Tyne
Thanks for all your kind thoughts. You are right - it was a good thing it was so quick, Dad deserved that after what he has been through over the last few years, and the staff said he didn't suffer at the end. I am sure I will drop keep droppping in to TP.
Best wishes, C