Dad with vascular dementia - getting on the floor

Debdeb

Jul 18, 2018
Dad is in a care home and has starting getting onto the floor in his room and getting agitated aggressive when they say he's got to get up. He does get up eventually .... would it be reasonable for them just to leave him but keep an eye on him? He started anti psychotic mess about a month ago. Was fine until last week, when he seemed to have a flare up of his polymyalgia ...it seems to have affected his behaviour? Thanks

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point @Debdeb

When my dad was in a care home if he refused to do something the staff would leave him and keep going back until he eventually agreed. I think this is good practice as it stops the PWD getting aggressive so yes I thinks it's acceptable to leave him on the floor if that's where he wants to be and keep an eye on him.

People with dementia do some strange things at times which cause us a lot of worry but I've found the people on this forum can help to alleviate this worry. Now that you've found us I hope you'll stay. It's helped me to cope with all the weird things my dad did and keep my sanity!

Mayella

Jan 29, 2015
Dad is in a care home and has starting getting onto the floor in his room and getting agitated aggressive when they say he's got to get up. He does get up eventually .... would it be reasonable for them just to leave him but keep an eye on him? He started anti psychotic mess about a month ago. Was fine until last week, when he seemed to have a flare up of his polymyalgia ...it seems to have affected his behaviour? Thanks