Dad rolling out of bed..

Sarest

May 11, 2011
Sussex
Hi all

I've noticed a lot of posts about the use of cot sides etc but would like some feedback on the following.

Is rolling out of bed whilst sleeping lined to Alzheimers in particular? Dad has been falling a lot recently and his balance isn't great but he's happy to

On Weds we ended up in A&E with Dad as he rolled out of bed in his sleep and crashed to the floor. He managed to bang his head and cut his ear in the fall.

Dad is now really scared of falling out of bed again..

Dad lives on his own so a mattress on the floor next to the bed is a no, no as he would forget it is there and fall over if he was to stand on it.. but I was wondering if this was common with Alzheimers and options that maybe useful..

Many Thanks

Sarah

minniemouse01

Nov 27, 2012
scotland
My Dad has Vascular Dementia and went through a spell of slipping off the bed when trying to get in or out bed.

I sought advice from an Occupational Therapist and they fitted what they call a bed stick. It is like an upside down U frame that goes under the mattress for stability at the top of the bed. It means that Dad has something to hold onto when getting in/out bed and we haven't had any falls there since. I should say top/side of the bed, level with the bottom of his pillow.

hope this may help :)

M x

Pheath

Dec 31, 2009
UK
Hi Sarah

I’m sorry to hear about your dad’s accident, that must have really shaken him up.

My dad is in a CH and also fell out of bed a few weeks ago and sustained a bad black eye and bruising to the arm. Thankfully the carer found him shortly after the incident but can see it’s more worrying if your dad is living on his own.

They now put a thin, padded mat on the floor just to cushion the fall. I can understand your concern about a thick mattress. A bar along the bed was also ruled out as dad is fairly mobile and could potentially try to clamber over it and have an even worse accident.

I’m not sure if falling out of bed is specifically linked with Alzheimers but poor co-ordination & spatial awareness plus impaired mobility can certainly be caused by neurological damage.

If your dad is prone to falls he might be at a stage where he needs more supervision. Could you perhaps get a night-time carer to check on him? Dad is checked hourly during the night as a precaution against it happening again. I think there are also sensor mats you can buy which sound an alarm but would require someone in the house to hear it.

Hope others come up with some better suggestions. Can see it’s a worrying problem.

Best wishes

Last edited:

SisterAct

Jul 5, 2011
Liverpool, Merseyside
Hi Sarah.
My Dad was always falling out of the bed at night then the equipment service gave us these wedges to put on the bed at night.
Dad loved them and so did we.

They would not stop your Dad getting out of the bed but they are a gentle restraint that kept rolling him back into position.

The link below is an example of what they are like

http://www.betterlifehealthcare.com/view_product.php?prodID=7074

Luv
Polly x

maccare

Dec 31, 2012
Bed rails on Amazon

I am the caregiver, but I also roll out of bed and bang my head on the bedside table. The problem is the mattress which has a soft foam on the outside 6 inches so that if you get anywhere close to the edge of the bed, the foam collapses and out you go. I fixed my wife's side of the bed with some steel angle iron supports. However, I needed more. On Amazon I found the Standers EZ Adjust Bed Rail. A bit pricy at $78 US but I am delighted with it. The length can be adjusted, but I use it in the short form, and it is very effective in helping me to get out of bed. It can easily be folded down to make the bed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trey0407