Dad needs carotid angiogram and is asking about mum

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Thank you @jugglingmum and @MaNaAk

We brought dad home this afternoon, he has eaten well and had a good sleep. I don't know if it was the right thing to do or not, he is still weak and rather wobbly. I have moved in with dad and my husband will be here a lot.

He was over three weeks in hospital and I know he was in danger of falling again. He seems a lot better in himself but his memory is shot to bits, perhaps it will improve,

Can I cope with it, I don't know, I will see how it goes.

I badly need to get my haircut.
Dear Duggies-girl,

I remember dad's memory being worse after his falls but then as your dad's been in hospital for three weeks he is probably having to reorientate himself so he should gradually settle. You are lucky to have such a supportive husband but then your dad is lucky to have you.

You must be pleased to have brought him home and hopefully you can both relax a bit. However I think you should think about getting more carers in.

Thinking of you

MaNaAk

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Dear Duggies-girl,

I remember dad's memory being worse after his falls but then as your dad's been in hospital for three weeks he is probably having to reorientate himself so he should gradually settle. You are lucky to have such a supportive husband but then your dad is lucky to have you.

You must be pleased to have brought him home and hopefully you can both relax a bit. However I think you should think about getting more carers in.

Thinking of you

MaNaAk

Yes I think carers will be needed. I am not sure that he can wash himself properly now and I would rather not do that.

I can't believe it but he has forgotten that he was in hospital already. I am going to have to be on the ball for a while I know that much.

KathrynAnne

Jun 6, 2018
South Yorkshire
I hope you and your Dad have a settled night. I also would suggest some help from carers. They have certainly been a big help to me with my Mum. Your Dad is lucky to have you and I hope your brother will help out and give you a break. I too am desperate for a trip to the hairdressers!

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I hope you and your Dad have a settled night. I also would suggest some help from carers. They have certainly been a big help to me with my Mum. Your Dad is lucky to have you and I hope your brother will help out and give you a break. I too am desperate for a trip to the hairdressers!

@KathrynAnne Yes dad had a good night but I kept waking up. Dad doesn't get out of bed usually which is remarkable for an 88 year old man.

Dad is really lovely and very sweet but like a little boy at the moment. He is still fully continent which is a blessing as I don't think that I could cope with that. He is just very weak and wobbly at the moment and he must not fall because he is far to fragile.

I know how you look after your mum and you must be an amazing person to have got as far as you have, I am not sure that I could cope like you have but then again a year ago I would have said that about where I am now. We just get on with it I suppose.

KathrynAnne

Jun 6, 2018
South Yorkshire
@KathrynAnne Yes dad had a good night but I kept waking up. Dad doesn't get out of bed usually which is remarkable for an 88 year old man.

Dad is really lovely and very sweet but like a little boy at the moment. He is still fully continent which is a blessing as I don't think that I could cope with that. He is just very weak and wobbly at the moment and he must not fall because he is far to fragile.

I know how you look after your mum and you must be an amazing person to have got as far as you have, I am not sure that I could cope like you have but then again a year ago I would have said that about where I am now. We just get on with it I suppose.
You’re absolutely right with your comment about us just getting on with it. I’m so glad I can’t see into the future as it would scare me stiff! If someone had told me 5 years ago what my life would be like now I wouldn’t have believed them!
I hope things are still going along ok for you and your Dad. When my Mum was able to get up in the night I had a mat at the side of her bed which set off an alarm if she stepped on it. I could keep it with me (it looked like a walkie talkie) and it meant I slept much better. Before I got it I was constantly listening out for her getting up. I wondered if something like that would help you.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
You’re absolutely right with your comment about us just getting on with it. I’m so glad I can’t see into the future as it would scare me stiff! If someone had told me 5 years ago what my life would be like now I wouldn’t have believed them!
I hope things are still going along ok for you and your Dad. When my Mum was able to get up in the night I had a mat at the side of her bed which set off an alarm if she stepped on it. I could keep it with me (it looked like a walkie talkie) and it meant I slept much better. Before I got it I was constantly listening out for her getting up. I wondered if something like that would help you.

Yes I have been looking at them and I will order one very soon, probably tomorrow . I don't think he could get out of bed himself at the moment. He is sleeping a lot but is quite bright in between dozing. I suppose that is part of the healing process. He is eating and drinking so I am not worried about that at the moment.

His alzheimers is far worse thought . He forgets almost instantly now. Hopefully it will settle down.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Yes I’m lucky enough to have an Admiral nurse based at my GPs and she arranged one for me FOC.

Dear Duggies-girl,

I think it is probably a good thing that your dad has forgotten that he was in hospital but I wonder whether you can get some sort of reablement. Your dad sounds like a lovely man.

MaNaAk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leigh_77