Dad diagnosed at 58....help with housing please?.....

Gillypink

Feb 17, 2016
Hi there,

My Dad has been diagnosed with PPA and Alzhemiers at 58 years old. He has up until today lived on a boat (it sold as his partner has just left him) he is unable to work and has little savings. I have applied to the council for help with housing with no word as of yet! Please can someone advise me on what or where I can go to help my Dad find somewhere to live. He is unable to live me with as I have 2 small children and live in a 3 bedroom small terrace house. We have been told by the neurology consultant that he is unable to live with his elderly parents... I have looked at all angels but I am still stuck! Please help :confused: thank you

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I'm afraid I don't know this situation but I suggest you contact adult social services and tell him he's a vulnerable adult at risk for whom they have duty of care. It might be an idea to contact Age UK, the Alzheimer's Society or the local Carers Centre to act as your advocate as it might get complicated if two different departments get involved.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hello Gillypink. Welcome to TP.
I am sorry to hear about your Dad especially as he's so young.
Im assuming you are in the UK, you say you have been onto the council for help with housing am I right in thinking its the housing department, I would contact Adult social services to see what they can do as well as getting back onto the council

Now their funds are so squeezed it's the squeekiest wheel that gets the most oil so IMO it's best not to be patient.

I'm sure others with more helpful advice will be along soon.

Please let us know how you get on.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Depending on which area you live in there are some good options on housing. There is sheltered housing (without care) which I probably wouldn't opt for given that the disease will progress. There is however extra care or flexi care housing which is a good option for some people in the early/middle stages where they have a flat and live effectively independently but on site there is a care team and care can be delivered from the same people regularly. I've seen it working very well with a number of people, particularly, but not exclusively, younger people.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi Gilly. welcome to TP
It probably would help in you gave an idea of which Local Authority this comes under as it all works a lot differently depending on where you live, no address and postcode just the name of the LA, but only if you're good with doing that, it's only a suggestion.
I have a narrowboat (on the Bridgewater near Manchester) and I see the liveaboards all the time and I've often wondered what happens when it goes wrong; as they get older, less able to cope with the hard physical work of living on a boat like carrying coal and gas bottles round all the time specially in winter.
Technically if you live on a boat you have the same legal status as a any member of the travelling community so you could look for help on that basis, Shelter supply some useful info (on the link below). It might seem strange but as he didn't have "bricks and mortar" and had no fixed abode other than the boat then by definition that's what he is legally. I'd push it with the council on that basis as the legal requirement to the travelling community are all very comprehensive.
K

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/homelessness/whats_your_situation/gypsies_and_travellers

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mandy21