Crying all day long

HumourReq

May 1, 2017
I'm caring full time for Mum (and Dad, but that's a different story*) at the moment.

She's had the dreaded Alzheimer's for a long time now, her dementia was present from her early 60's and she's just turned 75, so it's been a long, slow decline. But recently it's starting to speed up, the last few months have seen frequent incontinence, wandering at night and now, weeping.

She cries all day, from when she gets up (I often open my bedroom door in the morning to find her standing right there, pyjamas, coat, hat, handbag, ready for "the shops" - 7.30am?!) to when she goes to sleep (refuses to take off her clothes, will get into bed with shoes on while complaining to her reflection in the mirror).

The crying tips us over the edge. We are generally a positive family, always able to see the funny side and create a normal environment from a very odd, difficult and often eccentric situation. But this was always because Mum lived in a bubble and was content in her dementia, we protected her from feeling different. Now that she is wracked with anxiety and weeping incessantly, it's become much more difficult to cope.

We've tried an anti-anxiety medication, which has made no difference, alongside a combo of galantamine and memantine. Next week we'll start with some diazepam, which we hope will provide some peace.

I'm not dealing very well with the weeping. Seeing Mum that unsettled is very upsetting. Hearing anyone cry is awful as it is. If anyone else I knew (without a diagnosis) was that upset so regularly, I'd be seeking immediate, emergency help. It seems with Alzheimer's that because it's a symptom, it's not treated as urgent. Plus, it's so disruptive and becomes very annoying.... I'm snapping more than I should because it just doesn't stop, and it's very hard to gauge what is a real emergency - is she hurt? is this a particularly bad day? has something happened that I didn't see but need to address? It's making life 100% more complicated and I feel like I'm letting us both down by losing my patience so often.

Mum goes to respite two days a week. They report that she is generally unsettled, and upsets other customers. I'm afraid that they'll say she can't keep attending if she isn't sufficiently tranquillised...

Has anyone else found any relief for incessant crying?
Has it passed or continued? Is it a typical AD trait?

Would love to hear from anyone dealing with a similar issue.

Thanks for letting me moan!

*Dad has cognitive impairment, prostate cancer, is mostly deaf and needs a back operation... so....fun.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @HumourReq, welcome to posting.

Anxiety and depression are common bedfellows of dementia and my wife is treated for both of these issues as well as Alzheimer's. My wife also cries a lot and I have to say I just check if anything specific is wrong and, if not, ignore it. I would advise working with the GP to get the meds right as it took quite a while to get things to an acceptable level with my wife.

Others may be along later with advice based on their experience.

Last edited:

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @HumourReq

I’ve cared for my dad with dementia and he was generally happy, tended to giggle if anything went wrong, so although it was challenging, very challenging at times, we mostly muddled through.

Before that I help dad to care for mum who was a weeper. I know what you mean about it being so hard to cope with and I’m sorry to say that nothing seemed to help while she was in this phase. The meds she was given to help knocked her out so she was either distressed or unconscious.

I know I’m not helping much while you are so desperate for a solution, as we were at the time, but I do know what it’s like to be with someone who has no specific reason for crying out and being distressed but can’t explain why they are behaving that way and just won’t stop.

With mum it did pass eventually and she became more settled in the later stages.

Rohe 19

Mar 30, 2019
Hi
I know how you are feeling my mum cries all the time she cries when I arrive and until I leave. I have had many years of patience but have just joined this group because I am finding it so hard now and I understand totally about you starting to snap it’s something I’ve never done but it is starting to make me when I thought things couldn’t get worse they do. I don’t know if it will help but I try to distract my mum with the things she likes I’ve just asked on here for more ideas! I have jigsaws of gardens as she loved plants and gardening sometimes I can coax her to do these the other thing I have is an indoor garden which we do water the plants etc this sometimes takes her into a happier place. It is so hard I hope you get some help as I ll be following this thread too!

HumourReq

May 1, 2017

Anxiety and depression are common bedfellows of dementia and my wife is treated for both of these issues as well as Alzheimer's. My wife also cries a lot and I have to say I just check if anything specific is wrong and, if not, ignore it. I would advise working with the GP to get the meds right as it took quite a while to get things to an acceptable level with my wife.

Thanks @karaokePete, good advice. I’m spending to long trying to soothe I think. Our nurse has been fantastic and is keen to help us get Mum to a happier state. I’m hoping the medication won’t zombify her...

HumourReq

May 1, 2017
Hi @HumourReq

I’ve cared for my dad with dementia and he was generally happy, tended to giggle if anything went wrong, so although it was challenging, very challenging at times, we mostly muddled through.

Before that I help dad to care for mum who was a weeper. I know what you mean about it being so hard to cope with and I’m sorry to say that nothing seemed to help while she was in this phase. The meds she was given to help knocked her out so she was either distressed or unconscious.

I know I’m not helping much while you are so desperate for a solution, as we were at the time, but I do know what it’s like to be with someone who has no specific reason for crying out and being distressed but can’t explain why they are behaving that way and just won’t stop.

With mum it did pass eventually and she became more settled in the later stages.

Yep, muddling through felt human, and achievable by comparison! The change has been q devastating. Glad to hear that it may pass as she progresses, despite knowing that it will mean less of her being present. Sounds like you’ve had a lot to deal with across the spectrum of care with parents. Thanks for your time in replying @Bunpoots

HumourReq

May 1, 2017
Hi
I know how you are feeling my mum cries all the time she cries when I arrive and until I leave. I have had many years of patience but have just joined this group because I am finding it so hard now and I understand totally about you starting to snap it’s something I’ve never done but it is starting to make me when I thought things couldn’t get worse they do. I don’t know if it will help but I try to distract my mum with the things she likes I’ve just asked on here for more ideas! I have jigsaws of gardens as she loved plants and gardening sometimes I can coax her to do these the other thing I have is an indoor garden which we do water the plants etc this sometimes takes her into a happier place. It is so hard I hope you get some help as I ll be following this thread too!

Hi @Rohe 19
Well good luck to us both! The distraction is good - Mum is very extrovert and sociable so for her, being around other people is joyful. She will approach anyone she meets to try and have a conversation, I’ve learned how accomodating and kind strangers can be. Her language is very limited. She can’t concentrate on anything longer than 10 seconds so all her old hobbies are out of the window. We go out as much as we can but often just keeping on top of the chaos of lost items and washing keeps us at home which winds her up!

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I hope the GP can help with a change of medication, it must be so draining and upsetting for you (and her).

I wonder, would music help? My mother isn't a weeper, but she is noticeably more cheerful when there is music playing at care home, and often joins in singing along in the background. She isn't too fussy but obviously prefers music which she knew from from her younger/middle aged days - anything from Frank Sinatra to Abba.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Thanks @karaokePete, good advice. I’m spending to long trying to soothe I think. Our nurse has been fantastic and is keen to help us get Mum to a happier state. I’m hoping the medication won’t zombify her...

That's always the big issue with meds for this type of problem. I monitored my wife closely and liaised with the medics until my wife's meds were tweaked to help without leaving me with a complete zombie for a wife.

With my wife, the unfortunate reality is that she would need to be a complete zombie for her depression and anxiety to be 100% supressed. I found that the best I could do was get everything to a level that was bearable for all concerned, rather than find a complete solution. It seems that this is how it always is with dementia. It's fortunate that I'm the optimistic type, otherwise I'd be on the pills too.

tryingmybest

May 22, 2015
I so feel for you and others on this thread as I too, am desperate coping with my Mum 24/7 at home with me and have posted before about this. She cries from the moment she wakes until she falls asleep, apart from when I take her out in the afternoons for a couple of hours, which Im still managing to do, then it all starts again when we get home. I've tried everything. I find it both distressing and depressing and am currently losing the will to live but goodness knows how she feels. It's not just crying, but wailing and grunting and constantly taping her fingers and feet and I find it so hard to not lose my patience. Nightimes are the worst. Mum has Vascular Dementia and I wonder if the part if her brain that controls the emotions has gone? No answers for you but sending love and strength.

HumourReq

May 1, 2017
I hope the GP can help with a change of medication, it must be so draining and upsetting for you (and her).

I wonder, would music help? My mother isn't a weeper, but she is noticeably more cheerful when there is music playing at care home, and often joins in singing along in the background. She isn't too fussy but obviously prefers music which she knew from from her younger/middle aged days - anything from Frank Sinatra to Abba.

Thanks for the reminder @Sirena

HumourReq

May 1, 2017
I so feel for you and others on this thread as I too, am desperate coping with my Mum 24/7 at home with me and have posted before about this. She cries from the moment she wakes until she falls asleep, apart from when I take her out in the afternoons for a couple of hours, which Im still managing to do, then it all starts again when we get home. I've tried everything. I find it both distressing and depressing and am currently losing the will to live but goodness knows how she feels. It's not just crying, but wailing and grunting and constantly taping her fingers and feet and I find it so hard to not lose my patience. Nightimes are the worst. Mum has Vascular Dementia and I wonder if the part if her brain that controls the emotions has gone? No answers for you but sending love and strength.
Thank you @tryingmybest - we get the angry screams too, can make me jump! It’s so wearing. Usually I can hold it in, but when I have a cry too she doesn’t let up, we just sit and cry together.... Hey ho.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I found that the best I could do was get everything to a level that was bearable for all concerned, rather than find a complete solution.

Yes. This is what I found.

Once my husband had lost insight he became a much more contented person and the final four years of his life were the best we had after probably 10 years of anxiety, fear and aggression.

I hope this gives some hope to those of you who are struggling with challenging behaviours. I know it is small comfort but the final years gave me better memories at least.

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
This may sound unlikely or even trivial, but when my Mum was in hospital, very agitated - crying, hitting people etc I found, and it surprised me, she like me to sing, and even would join in despite the fact that she had been shouting the place down minutes before. I see someone else mentioned music, and there has been research about using music as part of routines - i.e. a calming song to get up to and at stressful times. Mummy responds well to taped music as well as actual singing.
Fell free to ignore as what works for one might not work for another......