Crawling on the floor

MargaretB

Jun 1, 2010
Northamptonshire
We went in to visit Trevor yesterday afternoon and found him on his hands and knees the floor again. We also saw a used "nappy" which had been pushed under the bed, and wondered just how long he had gone before being checked. One carer was in the office, another sat at a table doing colouring in with some ladies. A sleepless night followed for me wondering if I had done the "right thing" in putting him into the home, wondering if the care was good enough, ought I try having him home again with carers coming in, a real full blown guilt trip.

Talked it over with my daughter and son-in-law and we decided that we would just "pop in" at unexpected times just to see what was going on. Peter (SIL) has just phoned me as he had done a "pop in". His opening words were " I have seen more of Trevor than I ever wished to".............apparently he was in the same position as yesterday on the floor but this time stark naked, clothes neatly folded up beside him and having also totally stripped the bed. The staff said they had checked him ten minutes before. I cannot believe how fast all this is progressing...........my poor dear husband.
Margaret

NeverGiveUp

May 17, 2011
This is so sad.

Did you tell them about the nappy? If not, leave it there and monitor it when you visit to see how long it gets left.

My best wishes.

Pheath

Dec 31, 2009
UK
Margaret – I have just caught up with your post and am so sorry for the upset you must be feeling at your husband’s behaviour. I’m wondering if part of it might be an extreme reaction to feeling very unsettled and distressed in his new environment as he’s only been at the CH for 6 weeks. Perhaps when he settles more things will improve, with dementia so many things seem to come and go as phases, I do hope that’s the case with this too. Also if it's happening more when he's on his own in the bedroom, could he be brought more in the communal area perhaps (assuming it's occurring in the daytime).

Last edited:

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Margaret,

I wonder whether the solution to the undressing problem might be solved by getting your husband clothing which is fastened from the back and can't therefore be removed. There are more designs of these things from firms in the USA but I did find one in the UK which might at least give you an immediate solution. http://www.adaptawear.com/Unisex_All-in-one_Pyjamas_with_Shoulder_to_Ankle_Zip.htm

Maybe some others on here know of other UK suppliers if you feel this would be beneficial to you.

Fiona

NeverGiveUp

May 17, 2011
Playing Devil's Advocate here, would fasten at the back clothing cause panic attacks?

Has anyone actually seen him start to take his clothes off? What happens in the seconds beforehand? Itchy? Hot? Claustraphobic?